I have always used rooting hormone on cuttings for starting them.

Mike Corazzi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
HOWEVER..... today.... for some reason other than that I am sipping some Copa D'Oro coffee liqueur, I began to wonder if it would be of any benefit whatsoever to make a weak solution of it and use it in spring to drizzle into the soil to (theoretically) enhance root generation.

I now stand eager and waiting for authoritative information to satisfy my curiosity. :confused:

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Nope. The hormones trigger a response from the cambium, as far as I know. So it needs to be in as close contact to the cambium as possible.

Reaction score
I think what your looking for is mycorrhizal fungi. We have been using This Stuff for 5 years now and have run many tests on it to justify the cost, Trees with mycorrhiza (at least the rootgrow brand we use) have 200% better root growth and grow grow almost 60% more in healthy size than the trees we dont use mycorrhiza on.

As for the rooting hormone, dosn't work well in the soil as everyone has already said, but works AMAZING when doing air layering. Got the idea over a glass of Johnny Walker last summer and tried it out to see.

bonhe

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
You put liqueur on your cuttings?
Happy New Year 2017! It is very interesting topic!
I don't use liquor for cutting but I have been doing an experiment of using beer to feed the olive. I don't have conclusion yet! :)
Bonhe

eferguson1974

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
The locals here in CR have a rooting agente that they use to promote stronger, better roots. But its for veggies. Idk exactly what it is but I can find out. I tried it for cuttings but none took, but I probably mixed it too strong. Since then I found a ready to use powder that has worked much better. But supposedly the other product, mixed with the right amount of water, promotes root growth. So there is an opinion based on local technique that differs from others. I'm not promoting the stuff or practice, just saying another point of view exists and may or may not have merit. If anyone wants to know I can find out more about it. If not I wont bother.....

Solange

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
I haven't done it, but I will play devils advocate here and posit that it would work. Why do I think that? I think that because some regularly use seaweed for this same reason. Seaweed contains natural auxins (as well as nutrients and trace minerals), and rooting hormones are synthetic auxins. People have also been known to dust rootballs after a little trimming before repotting. No harm in a little experimenting. Do be aware that this is a case of more is not necessarily better. A lot of weed killers are also synthetic auxins, and so was agent orange as I remember.

Mike Corazzi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I used it for air layer also.
First time was a success.
Only done one.
Japanese maple. The

Top Bottom