I have just repotted two trees and I literally did not touch the roots of one and the other I might have trimmed 5%

rhawes

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
they both have dried leaves happened in a day they have been repotted a few days what on earth could cause the leaves to dry out so badly
One of the trees is a weeping maple and the other is a bullhorn acacia them being totally different plants the whole thing has me puzzled I used kln on them maybe they did not like the kln?
I know it is not the time for a maple maybe a little late but it needed repotted and I believe that now is a good time to repot the acacia.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
Photos would help.

Did you water immediately after repotting? Did you flood the pots with water and let drain (good) or did you just dribble a little water in one spot on the pot and expect capillary action to spread the water around (bad)?

Repotting maples out of season is pretty well documented as a bad idea. Repotting the acacia this time of year is probably a good idea.

Show us photos, maybe we can supply a prognosis.

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
When a maple has leaves they have a lot more water loss than when they dont have leaves. That is why repotting when if full leaf can be very dangerous.
Even if you didnt touch the roots, they can still get disturbed and the new soil will be drier and dry out faster than the old soil.

rhawes

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I just soaked them both for 10 minutes
I have been misting their leaves all day and they look a little better I think it was just too hot and they did not have enough water maybe My other maple I repotted did fine is great so who knows?

rhawes

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
My acacia says do not let dry out I think that I waited too long and that might have been it. So hopefully they will recover ok cross my fingers!!!
I probably should not have let them be in the heat shortly after repotting babied them a little more.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
My acacia says do not let dry out I think that I waited too long
When I had an acacia dry out I lost about 35% of the tree and it took about a month to leaf back out.

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
I have trialed repotting some maples when they are growing, including cutting roots quite hard. Many turn brown, drop leaves and look dead soon after but new buds sprout a few weeks later and all goes back to normal.

Be aware that it is sometimes difficult for water to pass from fresh mix through to old compacted root ball. The new soil looks damp but the inner root ball can still be dry. Soaking is the best way to water until roots can grow into the new soil.

Top Bottom