I Have This Elm...

Mellow Mullet

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
It is a cork bark elm, grown from a cutting. I grew it on a tile, so it has a decent nebari; however I have never really been happy with the rest of it. It is about 10 inches tall and almost 1 1/4 at the base. I have been debating on some type of chop every since spring, but I can't decide. What would you do, other than "put it in the ground and let it grow"? I want to have this as a mame or shohin or just a little taller than shohin. I added some red lines where I have been thinking of cutting.

John

Attachments

• DSC07068-A.jpg
    DSC07068-A.jpg
    188.1 KB · Views: 452
  • DSC07068-1.jpg
    DSC07068-1.jpg
    188 KB · Views: 399
  • DSC07068-2.jpg
    DSC07068-2.jpg
    188 KB · Views: 366
  • DSC07068-3.jpg
    DSC07068-3.jpg
    188.1 KB · Views: 391

jk_lewis

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
How large is it now? It LOOKS to be a large shohin already.

(And, I don't find it to be that bad. Perhaps a mere change of front or planting angle?)

Mellow Mullet

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
As mentioned above, it is about 10" from the soil, on the tall side of shohin. I guess it is the "slingshot" appearance that bothers me. Just asking what others think, I might leave it like it is and see what happens or if someone has a vision that seems to look better...

Thanks, Jim.

John

Bunjeh

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Open it up

I would start by going in and cleaning it up. Looks like it was trimmed, not really pruned. I would try to give it better ramification and then, once it is opened up, see where it wants you to go.

Martin Sweeney

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Mellow Mullet,

I like the right trunk, it seems to have better movement than the left. The left seems kind of boring.

Regards,
Martin

corkelm

Seed
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
John... I think it would br good to see this tree in a month or so when it should have lost its leaves, I like corkelms and think yours just needs a few ajustments... very doable. Hope you can hold off until end of January or first of February and so us again. I'd like a chance to give you feed back then. Looking forward to talking with you then. Mike

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I'd keep the right trunk and lose the rest. Not only does it have better movement but it looks to have better taper.

edprocoat

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I like the whole thing. I would tourniquet it right above the nebari and let it swell the trunk all next growing season though and let it get a great flare and letting it overgrow the wire.

ed

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I am just curious why some of you would take a good tree that looks like an elm tree and reduce it to one trunk just for the sake of movement and taper?

I am not especially partial to slingshot trunks, but in this case this seems to have a few things going for it now which removing a trunk would just set the tree back another five years.

Not mine so have at it....

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I think only the tops have been a little out of control.

Seems a lot can be taken out of them, let some light in.

A crown in here would look nice and powerful.

Hey mellow, some serissa advice may be needed in the little tropicals thread in new to bonsai. Figure you could help.

Sorce

Attachments

• IMG_20141123_033138.jpg
    IMG_20141123_033138.jpg
    137 KB · Views: 299

fredman

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Beautiful tree. I like its natural look. Any trunk choppings will not improve anything. Just keep on ramifying it. I agree with Sorce. Maybe clean up the top a bit and work from there...

fredman

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Beautiful tree. I like its natural look. Any trunk or branch choppings will not improve anything. Just keep on ramifying it. I agree with Sorce. Maybe clean up the top a bit and work from there...

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
The nebari and lower trunk are good. Where the problem lies for me, is the straight boring sections of main branches, upon which the canopy is built; highlighted in yellow. It's like a house on stilts. I am working through this painful process with several of my more "finished" trees as well. The best trees are compact, and have movement and interest throughout, meaning sometimes we have to peel back a few layers.

i would cut it back at the red lines, and develop a very similar, yet more compact bonsai from the resulting growth. Let it run half of next year, cut it back hard, and I think you can have the result in 3 years.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    105.5 KB · Views: 288
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    180.5 KB · Views: 278
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    180.1 KB · Views: 263
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    179 KB · Views: 246

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I would basically agree with the non chop team. Although I would cut it back pretty hard to try to get a third branch (trunk) to pop for you, optimum would be in the back between the two current trunks. That will change the whole tree from what some see as a slingshot to a more natural broom. Then you can re-assess the whole top from there.

geoff hobson

Seedling
Reaction score
elm

I am just curious why some of you would take a good tree that looks like an elm tree and reduce it to one trunk just for the sake of movement and taper?

I am not especially partial to slingshot trunks, but in this case this seems to have a few things going for it now which removing a trunk would just set the tree back another five years.

I think that the trunk on the right is too long. it is far too big for mame, but ok for shohin. Having said that the apex is too dense and needs to be thinned out, but the first thing I would do is remove the wire.
I would not remove the right trunk, just reduce it. The branch on the left is ok.

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone

This is what elms look like around here. When I think natural elm shape this is what comes to mind.

Attachments

• 2014-10-18 14.44.00-1.jpg
    2014-10-18 14.44.00-1.jpg
    185.7 KB · Views: 230

Mellow Mullet

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
Thanks everyone for the advice, I will post some pictures of the direction I will take it this spring. I will keep the two trunks and work with them.

John

edprocoat

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks everyone for the advice, I will post some pictures of the direction I will take it this spring. I will keep the two trunks and work with them.

John

Good idea, and at least now after Al's post everyone agrees to let you keep it without chopping ... :rolleyes:

ed

Top Bottom