I hope none of you are bidding on this tree...

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Lol tried locating the auction on EBay...then noticed this is a thread from...2007! No wonder I couldn't find it. Lol

It would be interesting to see what it finally sold for... and what it looks like today.

The tree in my opinion is the classic example of too much fine development when there are major structural flaws in the basic framework. Why develop all that fine ramification - on branches that you might have to remove?

My other thought is that ten years ago I seemed to be all hung up on "trunk scars" LOL. They don't look too bad to me today :) But the structure definitely needs major work.

Last edited:

LeonardB

Shohin
Reaction score
LOL this is an old thread, but I'd say you're overthinking it. I don't think there is an American school of bonsai, or a European school. I think some people prefer trees that are more artificially designed and have a more manicured look, and some prefer trees that look a little more natural and wild. However show me a formal tree of either type that is planted off-center in a pot that has won a major award :) It isn't going to happen. Not because you CAN'T do it - but because it breaks too many rules of design aesthetic and balance.

The "revolution" caused by some cutting-edge professionals in bonsai is pretty nuanced. You have to be pretty advanced in bonsai to really understand the difference between "old style" and "new style" or "formal Japanese" versus "natural European". They all follow 95% of the same rules... and play around with 5%.
You are right. And it is way too much to try and absorb anyway.

LanceMac10

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
My other thought is that ten years ago I seemed to be all hung up on "trunk scars" LOL. They don't look too bad to me today :) But the structure definitely needs major work.

I admit, I was curious if your stance on the trunk scaring still stood fast. Seems you've softened your view a bit.:confused::cool::cool::D:D:D:D:D

Nothing like reviving a decade old thread........o_O:(:D:D:D:D

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I just wish I could find a Chinese elm that wasn't an "S", with a decent trunk.

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I would like to know how @Bonsai Nut you feel about that $800+ price tag in todays world. I've seen less developed trees with worse faults outstrip that pricing these days. Just Curious. ;)

Personally, I think I could get a tree similar to that in the $200 - $300 range here in Southern Cal. $300 is a lot for a standard Chinese elm - particularly here where they can grow in landscaping.

I just checked at my local landscape nursery. A 29" crated Chinese elm (decent sized landscape tree) costs $470 delivered.

Last edited:
Top Bottom