I just (against advice) potted a rootbound juniper

Mike Corazzi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
It was SO rootbound that I couldn't wait as watering just slid down the outside of the nursery can and it pissed me off.

Soooo..... I did about a 20% "mess" disturbance and put it in a nice pot that has about twice again the soil that was in the can.

To ameliorate any bad things that may happen as it braves our fairly mild winters, I did two things to...maybe... make things better.

1. I sliced a black plastic bag so it fits loosely around the trunk to create a ....sorta.... better environment (okie hothouse) for survival. (Haven't tried this before, but instinct tells me it could be good.

and.......

2. Internally imbibed some rum and Coke and ...for good measure, since it was a damn exhausting thing to do, added some Tylenol to assuage my abused shoulder muksels.

I hope all goes well.

I also wired some branches into a more attractive "down" position and managed to break a branch which I hope will survive as I ...IMMEDIATELY... pushed the broken branch back into position and used some wire to hold it back into the original place ..AND...covered the stupid wound with cutpaste.

Wish me luck or tell me what a fool I was.

If my shoulders come back to normal, that will be a good thing and if the poor juniper survives my assault, it will be a REALLY good thing.

Apologies to all who told me to wait til spring and to the entire family of juniperus.

Amen.

:confused:

sikadelic

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
I think it could ok. It really depends on the aftercare.

I would be concerned that the plastic bag could hold too much moisture. Either way, good luck!

Mike Corazzi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I think it could ok. It really depends on the aftercare.

I would be concerned that the plastic bag could hold too much moisture. Either way, good luck!

Very.... VERY... loosely put on. Weighted with a rock to just hold it down somewhat.
I was sober enough to not put it on like a condom.

;)

Eric Group

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Very.... VERY... loosely put on. Weighted with a rock to just hold it down somewhat.
I was sober enough to not put it on like a condom.

;)
I don't get the plastic bag... did you put it over the whole tree and pot, just the pot or just the tree? What is the intended purpose of the bag?

Reaction score
I'm not a fan of bagging a tree when it has foliage (if you indeed bagged the whole tree). When you have rather mild winters, it should not be a problem.

LanceMac10

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
At least you have the bag right there when you have to throw the tree in the dumpster!!:D:D:D:D:D

Though, how cold does it actually get in Fair Oaks?

Mike Corazzi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Whoops. Unclear.
I just laid plastic sheet over the top of soil to retain a bit of temp.
Maybe.
Just something I got a notion to do.
Not even wrapping the pot. Just covering soil.

Temp can do mid 30s at night in Jan but 40s during day.
Maybe 6-7 days a year, it can go mid 20s.

Last edited:

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
Whoops. Unclear.
Maybe.
Not even enclosing the pot. Just covering soil.
Not necessary and more likely to cook/boil the roots on a hot day. Lose the plastic, place in full sun and water as needed.

Reaction score
plastic will avoid good evaporation, staying wet longer, not good for new roots. If you want to help with inducing heat, a heating mat is a better option. Or a cable, place in sand, put the plastic over it and then the pot.

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Whoops. Unclear.
Maybe.
Not even wrapping the pot. Just covering soil.

Temp can do mid 30s at night in Jan but 40s during day.
Maybe 6-7 days a year, it can go mid 20s.

I think you are probably babying your tree to death. Contrary to what a lot of people tell you around here most Junipers can be repotted anytime of the year , except the middle of the winter.. Just put it in a location out of direct sun and wind and make sure it does not dry out, it should be fine.

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Contrary to what a lot of people tell you around here most Junipers can be repotted anytime of the year , except the middle of the winter.. Just put it in a location out of direct sun and wind and make sure it does not dry out, it should be fine.
Keeping in mind your in Michigan correct?

If a new guy living here in Fresno read this, would you tell him it's OK to repot in July when the temp may be 105 for a week straight?

Again, unlike Michigan, I do repot junipers in the middle of Winter.....

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Wish me luck or tell me what a fool I was.

It "reads like" you slip potted it into a larger container with similar substrate. If so I don't see any reason it won't be ok unless it was in decline already. Make sure the surface roots have good coverage with substrate and I would strongly suggest removing the plastic. More then a heat issue I would think it would stay to wet. Junipers in general like damp, never dry but wet will kill them.

Grimmy

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Keeping in mind your in Michigan correct?

If a new guy living here in Fresno read this, would you tell him it's OK to repot in July when the temp may be 105 for a week straight?

Again, unlike Michigan, I do repot junipers in the middle of Winter.....

If you remember I used to live in San Rafael many years ago and I did indeed do them in the summer. I also remember that our winters got down into the 20's occasionally but not long enough to freeze the trees up and into the pots. I have repotted Junipers here in Michigan in the summer when it was above 90 degrees Fahrenheit for weeks at a time. This summer I repotted and started development on several Kishu Shimpakus while it was in the high 80's low 90's.

Mike Corazzi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
plastic will avoid good evaporation, staying wet longer, not good for new roots. If you want to help with inducing heat, a heating mat is a better option. Or a cable, place in sand, put the plastic over it and then the pot.
Hadn't thought of that. Well, sorta. It's why I placed it so loosely. But I think I'll take it off today.
Thanks.

And Dirk, this tree ain't gettin no cable TV. ;)

Mike Corazzi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
My MAIN concern is the rootboundedness. (is that a word?)
If it doesn't send any roots FROM the squooshed root ball (I didn't whack it to pieces) I don't know if nutrients can entice roots to start OUT of that compacted wad.
I loosened the bottom part of the ball but above that I could see that the roots had TRIED to find open space but had to turn back UP into the ball to exend at all. AND it has been that way a LONG time.
We shall see.
Plastic coming off today.

The ENCOURAGING part is that the color and vigor seem very good even with the conditions it had.

Last edited:
Top Bottom