I just bought a small Bonsai tree.

cmu268

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
What kind of tree? Very generally speaking, you need to check its need for water regularly aka daily, feed it with nutrients, give it plenty of sun, put it in good well-draining soil, but it all depends on a lot of factors like species, your location, etc.

Gabler

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Start reading from the resources section of this website. Also, put your approximate location and hardiness zone in your profile.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Now what do I do?
Read, research, find an in person bonsai club --an excellent resource where you can get hands-on experience.

REading and research can be a little difficult online, as there can be too many sources to sort through, that it becomes overwhelming. physical books can be more informative and knowledgeable, as publishing companies generally require authors to have some real expertise before they fund a book.

Here's a recent one that I came across in our local library. It's pretty good, I think

Another

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Now what do I do?
1. Find out what species of tree it is and search on line to find out how to take care of bonsai trees of that species. The particular information you need is sun requirement, soil type, watering needs etc..
2. Find out what kind of soil it came with and find out whether that soil is suitable for your bonsai. If not then come back here with more details, perhaps we can help you with replacing that soil.
3. Once you do 1 and 2 and are able to keep that tree alive. Come back here and we can discuss development of that tree.
PS: Of course the local bonsai club is even better than this forum. Experienced local bonsai club can see the tree and make more accurate assessments and can give you on site advice on how to care for and develop your bonsai.

August

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
If this were r/bonsai on Reddit, you'd have the masses downvoting you and telling you to "put it outside" as nauseum.

Here, I believe we say "welcome to Crazy" :)
At least if we're following the example of @sorce 😂

Start reading the threads, there's always something interesting to learn, and boy do I hope you're interested in learning! There's a lot of learning to be done in this practice.

Add your location and USDA zone and start conversations with folks from your area, find out what they do, for soil, winter protection, species, what kinds of natives they grow, etc, and you're off to a great start :)

If I might add, somewhat hypocritically, join your local club! From what I understand there is no better way to learn this art than to surround yourself with local practitioners and to let them be a resource for you.

charlesf6

Seedling
Reaction score
Alright, I will but my main concern right now is that is going to be entering a room full of orchids
that I do not want to contaminate
in any such way.
Should I spray or wipe down the leaves and plant with a mix of mild dish soap. warm water and & alchohol, maybe?

BrightsideB

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Alright, I will but my main concern right now is that is going to be entering a room full of orchids
that I do not want to contaminate
in any such way.
Should I spray or wipe down the leaves and plant with a mix of mild dish soap. warm water and & alchohol, maybe?
What kind of contamination are you talking about? You need to specify important details to have tailored help. We still don’t know what kind of tree it is yet. A bonsai tree isn’t a specie it’s a term used to define a specific horticultural and creative practice.

dbonsaiw

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Easy questions - what kind of tree? Where are you located? Did you buy a bonsai or a pre-bonsai?

Harder question - what are you looking to achieve with what you have? Last in action, first in thought - the final product will come much later, but will dictate what you do now.

charlesf6

Seedling
Reaction score
What kind of contamination are you talking about? You need to specify important details to have tailored help. We still don’t know what kind of tree it is yet. A bonsai tree isn’t a specie it’s a term used to define a specific horticultural and creative practice.
Scale, mealybug, mites, diseases etc.
It came from a store. I know that Bonsai is an art form and not a species.
But tree type is not displayed on the label and the storekeeper couldn't tell me.
I will find out. I just didn't know if sanitary prep for a mini tree could fall in line with the
new orchid method I employ without harming the little fellow.

charlesf6

Seedling
Reaction score
Easy questions - what kind of tree? Where are you located? Did you buy a bonsai or a pre-bonsai?

Harder question - what are you looking to achieve with what you have? Last in action, first in thought - the final product will come much later, but will dictate what you do now.
Don't know yet. NY. Bonsai.
Restarting a practice that I could not succeed in many years ago.

August

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Will you add a picture of your tree? We should be able to identify it and save you some time. Species is important, some react adversely to specific pest treatments.

August

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Out of curiosity will you also tell us your procedure for when you do this with your orchids?

charlesf6

Seedling
Reaction score
Will you add a picture of your tree? We should be able to identify it and save you some time. Species is important, some react adversely to specific pest treatments.
Does this forum allow that for a brand new member?
I would be content to do that.

charlesf6

Seedling
Reaction score
Out of curiosity will you also tell us your procedure for when you do this with your orchids?
After isolating and adding any new plant to the nursery.
I suppose a tree is quite different from the plants.

August

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
After isolating and adding any new plant to the nursery.
I suppose a tree is quite different from the plants.
Not so in many cases; most quarantine measures apply to a great deal of plant life! To add a picture, click "attach files" in the bottom left corner next to the paperclip. I believe there is no restriction for new members?

Top Bottom