I just ordered a Satsuki Azalea online

Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I have never ordered a bonsai tree online before. I ordered it from Eastern Leaf, who seem to have a decent reputation around here. The reason I'm posting is that I don't know what to expect, meaning I don't know what I should do with it. Feed it? Water it? Leave it alone? I'll post photos this weekend as it should arrive on Saturday. I realize that this is a pretty vague question at this point, but I'm pretty new to bonsai (this is my eighth tree) and I want to treat it properly when I get it.

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I don't know if you are kidding around, given some recent drama on the site and azaleas from Eastern Leaf, but I assume you realize it will not be blooming(?)

Apropos of nothing, I just ordered a case of Gro Power tabs from them a couple hours ago.

Last edited:
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I haven't the foggiest idea what you are talking about regarding azalea drama, but I assure you I'm perfectly serious. I realize that it won't be blooming, but I seriously would like to know what I should do with it upon receipt.

Kadebe

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I'm a bonsai novice, but I would say... place the azalea outside, let it acclimatize, and do nothing to it for the first few months, until fall maintenance and
fertilized according to the supplier's instruction

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I haven't the foggiest idea what you are talking about regarding azalea drama, but I assure you I'm perfectly serious. I realize that it won't be blooming, but I seriously would like to know what I should do with it upon receipt.
Don't worry about it... someone bought an azalea from Eastern Leaf and was upset that when it arrived it wasn't in flower. We have beat the discussion to death :) I thought you might have been kidding :)

At any rate... post pics when you receive it and we can all discuss! When you unbox it, all you will need to do with it immediately is give it a good watering, and place it in your garden in a sheltered spot with filtered sun or partial shade. It will not be happy in full sun. Don't prune anything until we can talk about the seasonal care for satsukis - and don't repot!

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
At any rate... post pics when you receive it and we can all discuss! When you unbox it, all you will need to do with it immediately is give it a good watering, and place it in your garden in a sheltered spot with filtered sun or partial shade. It will not be happy in full sun. Don't prune anything until we can talk about the seasonal care for satsukis - and don't repot!
Looking forward to your new acquisition! I echo @Bonsai Nut.

Enjoy your tree and please leave the pruning shears in the tool roll for now. 😎

cheers
DSD sends

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Ya know, you do have a bonsai shop nearby I once stopped in…. Maruyama .

I was wondering if they stock satsuki over there? I heard there is an awesome Satsuki group there too. See link. If I was living in Roseville it might be worth your while to join and work and learn from some really accomplished satsuki people…. None where I live!

cheers
DSD sends

Moridin

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
You should have gone to Maruyama. She has very reasonably price azaleas of many different varieties.

Here is one from there that was $30

Attachments

• 20210817_175947.jpg
    20210817_175947.jpg
    119.5 KB · Views: 49
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I'm disabled and can't get out but my wife has been there for the both of us once and said they have a lot of trees, but I don't know of the group you referred to. I'll check it out.

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
@mlmcdonald
Congratulations on your purchase.
I look forward to seeing it.
You're miles ahead of the idiot that started the drama so nevermind about that...not worth your time...lol

Bonsai Nut gives you good advice and I wholeheartedly agree.

Put it in a shady spot as he describes and water it when it needs it, meaning when the soil just starts to dry.

And don't worry, we got you. Ask if you have questions.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
FWIW, satsuki aren't considered "bonsai" by Japanese bonsai enthusiasts because Satsukis are a world all their own. They're grown for their blossoms and bonsai cultivation allows the blossoms to be displayed effectively. Satsukis require specific rotational care --there's a cycle of specific top pruning and repotting in alternating years (a rough description) that encourages flower production and ramification. WIthout it, they can become quite a mess. If you've got a starter, you will probably grow it out to bulk up the lower trunk.

FWIW, Dave Kreuz at Satsuki bonsai-en used to import and grow some pretty darn nice stuff. I don't know if he's still in business, but here's his website

He had starter whips for $35. I got this satsuki from him a while ago.

Attachments

• satski2.jpg
    satski2.jpg
    145.6 KB · Views: 42

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
FWIW, Dave Kreuz at Satsuki bonsai-en used to import and grow some pretty darn nice stuff. I don't know if he's still in business, but here's his website

He had starter whips for $35. I got this satsuki from him a while ago.

Yeah… I called Dave a couple times last year…. Still haven’t heard from him. Maybe COVID issues. I’ll try him again when I have time.

Best DSD sends

bunjin

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
I would try to contact the Satsuki Aikokai Association of Sacramento for specific care instructions. I am originally from the valley and growing azaleas there is a particular challenge. At least you probably have decent water and good shade. This club usually puts on a great annual show and I think right now they are still in a Covid pause mode as far as in-person meetings and shows. Hopefully you will be able to do a hands-on workshop with them soon. The last address I had for them is: SatsukiAikokai@yahoo.com

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
...and if you REALLY want to go down the rabbit hole...

Nuccio's Nursery

(video is of Camellias, but it shows the nursery and Tom Nuccio) Make sure you make it to 21:30
is old.
I ordered for the first time from Nuccios this spring. Totally old school, mail in an order form, pay by check (they don't take credit cards). They send you a bill for shipping after they ship it. They called me each time I ordered and they are awesome people. When I asked him about my Getsotuko mostly having white blooms, he sent me one for free, so I could see the different variations. I also picked up a Camellia which is setting buds. Very reasonably priced too. Call for pricing, their online catalog is old.

Top Bottom