I just went IN on my new Chinese Elm

Jaranna

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Before asking for advice or doing any significant research and I don’t think that was the move.

On a whim I picked up a Chinese Elm today and the shop keeper said it needed pruning and it could be done whenever.

Initially I was going to wait a few weeks to let it acclimate to my apartment. But then I just kept looking at it and before I could reason with myself, there I was with pruning scissors in hand, snipping away.

...and then came the wires...I’ve never wired before.

So naturally, now that it’s all said and done, I have some questions and am humbly seeking wisdom.

I don’t have any “before” photos, but I attached some “after” photos.

1) when I bought the elm, a lot of the branches grew in a zig zag and folded over in places. Is this a natural growth pattern, or was it just neglected somehow or maybe had a cramped growing space? You can see an example in photo “2”. I cut off the really bad branches, but there’s still some weird ones, and others I’m fighting with wires.

2) the places it had previously been pruned were all cut back a few mm above the branches. Can elm be pruned flush to the branch or do they need some room for die back? I wasn’t sure, so I kinda did both ways as I was going in.

3) should the branch in photo “1” be cut back or should I keep it to let the small branch develop. I think leaving it would add balance to that side of the tree, but I don’t have a mature eye for bonsai at this point.

4) can I take a knob cutter and smooth out the hard cut at the top? Or will it even out over time

5) any advice on the overall direction of the branches and wiring? Should I have pruned it harder?

I appreciate your feedback

Attachments

• BFCA9A9F-7BFE-4DEC-AF9F-B288971DB9D0.jpeg
    BFCA9A9F-7BFE-4DEC-AF9F-B288971DB9D0.jpeg
    138.9 KB · Views: 35
  • C8B2E68D-4024-4381-A9B4-82FA553D9304.jpeg
    C8B2E68D-4024-4381-A9B4-82FA553D9304.jpeg
    123.1 KB · Views: 36
  • 5932A3EE-43B2-4236-B6C6-A454DC09D0FB.jpeg
    5932A3EE-43B2-4236-B6C6-A454DC09D0FB.jpeg
    133.5 KB · Views: 35
  • D6E861DF-0433-41D6-9AD1-52F2DBDB1079.jpeg
    D6E861DF-0433-41D6-9AD1-52F2DBDB1079.jpeg
    134.5 KB · Views: 30
  • 31AD8665-F628-4CC4-9C41-527A49674ABB.jpeg
    31AD8665-F628-4CC4-9C41-527A49674ABB.jpeg
    153.7 KB · Views: 24
  • 4401214C-323D-4391-8D93-E735D05A1732.jpeg
    4401214C-323D-4391-8D93-E735D05A1732.jpeg
    151 KB · Views: 26

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
1) when I bought the elm, a lot of the branches grew in a zig zag and folded over in places. Is this a natural growth pattern, or was it just neglected somehow or maybe had a cramped growing space? You can see an example in photo “2”. I cut off the really bad branches, but there’s still some weird ones, and others I’m fighting with wires.
Probably the natural growth pattern of elms. Many of us like the random pattern of movement created by bends like these and prune to encourage it but it should be consistent rather than just on a couple of parts of the tree. You can prune and wire to reduce these bends if you want a smoother, flowing look.
2) the places it had previously been pruned were all cut back a few mm above the branches. Can elm be pruned flush to the branch or do they need some room for die back? I wasn’t sure, so I kinda did both ways as I was going in.
Probably just a result of quick pruning as is usually needed when developing larger numbers of trees for commercial sales. You can prune Chinese elm flush to the fork when you trim an you can cut any leftover stubs with your branch cutter or knob cutter. Flush cuts will heal over far quicker than stubs.
3) should the branch in photo “1” be cut back or should I keep it to let the small branch develop. I think leaving it would add balance to that side of the tree, but I don’t have a mature eye for bonsai at this point.
4) can I take a knob cutter and smooth out the hard cut at the top? Or will it even out over time
Both these depends on where you want the viewing front to be. from some angles that old cut near the top looks good, from others it has a bulge. It will probably gradually disappear and cutting it may make the bulge worse as your new cut starts to callus and heal. Small branch in 1 is growing very close to another main branch. This can make the trunk enlarge at that point and give inverse taper but your tree may not have any other option. There's another spot at the top where 3 branches grow from 1 place. Best to remove 1 as soon as you can decide which is not really needed.
You do need back branches for depth. whether to remove that small branch will depend on the side you choose as the best viewing angle - front.

You've probably done a good job of this tree. Chinese elm can be cut as hard as required as they will sprout new buds anywhere after pruning.
No before pics so I assume you have bent the wired branches somewhat? No point in wiring just for the sake of it. Wiring is just for holding branches in new position to improve the look of the tree.

I know it is cold in Michigan so I assume these trees need winter protection but it worries me that you mention it is in your apartment. Some of the locals will give better advice about Chinese elm indoors but in my experience they do not survive long inside unless you have really appropriate conditions.

Jaranna

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Small branch in 1 is growing very close to another main branch. This can make the trunk enlarge at that point and give inverse taper but your tree may not have any other option. There's another spot at the top where 3 branches grow from 1 place. Best to remove 1 as soon as you can decide which is not really needed.
You do need back branches for depth. whether to remove that small branch will depend on the side you choose as the best viewing angle - front.

No before pics so I assume you have bent the wired branches somewhat? No point in wiring just for the sake of it. Wiring is just for holding branches in new position to improve the look of the tree.

I know it is cold in Michigan so I assume these trees need winter protection but it worries me that you mention it is in your apartment. Some of the locals will give better advice about Chinese elm indoors but in my experience they do not survive long inside unless you have really appropriate conditions.

Thank you for the advice!

I was feeling like one of the top branches needed to go, so I’m glad you mentioned it. I think I will keep the branch from pic 1 for now and see how I feel about it once it grows more.

Yes, I bent the wired branches because they were growing in various directions and crossing other branches. My choice was either to keep the branches and wire them or cut them off altogether, but since it’s a new tree I didn’t know how well it would have taken it if I cut them off.

Im keeping it under my grow lights that keep my lemon tree happy, and plan to put it outside in the summer. I’ll be sure to research their indoor care. Thank you for noting that.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Lol!

Welcome to Crazy!

Sorce

Top Bottom