I killed this tree.

Javaman4373

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Over 20 years ago I planted about 10 bristlecone pine seedlings in various places in the nearby landscape. We have clay subsoil and many areas are wet and even swampy. All those B. pines died except one that was on a well drained sloping area below my blue berry patch. So one day I choped the tall trunk back and collected the tree and potted it. It rather promptly died, of root rot. No doubt I kept it too wet, especially considering it is a desert loving species and I kept too much of the original soil. It could have been an interesting tree and was a hard lesson. Whoops, ended up in wrong forum.

Attachments

• IMG_1903.jpg
    IMG_1903.jpg
    258.6 KB · Views: 166
  • IMG_1976.jpg
    IMG_1976.jpg
    243.1 KB · Views: 154

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The blueberries have nothing to do with it. It’s the “well drained” part that matters.

A quick scan of mostly unforgotten Bristlecone info shows that they don't mind the wet PNW and that folks still have a hard time keeping them healthy even with well draining soil.

Please stop letting your childish ire allow ignorant statements. Though the list of them is going to be hilarious!

Sorce

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
A quick scan of mostly unforgotten Bristlecone info shows that they don't mind the wet PNW and that folks still have a hard time keeping them healthy even with well draining soil.

Please stop letting your childish ire allow ignorant statements. Though the list of them is going to be hilarious!

Sorce
Sorce, I don’t know what info you are scanning... My quick scan states: “Great Basin bristlecone pines are well-adapted to high-elevation habitats in areas with rocky soil, low rainfall, long winters, and are drought resistant.”

The OP stated that the trees he planted in areas that were wetter than where he planted this particular tree had already died. This one was in a better drained area, although he states that his soil is heavy clay based. And he further states that he kept a lot of the soil intact when he dug it and transplanted in a pot.

The vast majority of the successful yamadori collectors plant their newly collected trees in wooden boxes and use pumice as the substrate. Pumice is very well draining.

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Can hardly believe tree was actually potted in such gunk😖.

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I used the soil it was growing in, which in retrospect was definitely a mistake.

As I like to say... just don't kill another tree the same way :) We've all killed many trees... learn from each one and eventually you'll start to run out of everyday killing methods, and will have to start getting creative!

August44

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
I also believe that two injuries, the trunk chop and the digging and root chop, at the same time didn't help with your survival rate here

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Uhg. The heartbreak all over again. That reminds me of a pinyon pine I collected last fall. In my newb impatience I repotted it this past spring while it was still to stressed, and it promptly died. Gorgeous thing too. I carved it into a tobacco pipe as a keepsake.

Best of luck next time.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
@Javaman4373 There is a possibility the "trunk chop" and the transplant from ground to a pot, all happened too close together in time. Chopping the top back could have killed. The combo of transplanting and "chopping" was probably too much for it. Bristlecone pines are notorious for being touchy about the amount of work done to them.

As to soils, not only do they require well draining soils, they also are only found on limestone derived soils. Areas where there are sandstone and lime free soils, Limber Pine tends to take over.

Blueberries probably had nothing to do with whether the bristlecone did well or not.

Top Bottom