I lied about not posting again....Sorry

cquinn

Shohin
Reaction score
In light of that crazy pine thread, I've decided that it's fair that I post some pics. I like looking at others pics, so there really isn't a reason why I shouldn't contribute some of my own. I have a club meeting tomorrow, so I'm going to be working on them some and I'll try to take some pics. I'm not a photographer, and I don't really even have a good camera but you'll get what I get I guess. I'm trying to be respectful in all of this because I like coming here. In the meantime Mr. Hill was kind enough to allow me to spend a week with him to help him around his nursery this past March, and I have another visit planned for October. I have a family, and a full time job so it's hard to get away for that length of time to study bonsai and I hope that can be appreciated. Please see the link below to see some pics of me helping out Mr. Hill with some of his fabulous trees. Even though these aren't mine maybe it gives me some credibility that I have at least been exposed to great bonsai and a smidgeon of what it takes to train and keep them healthy. I'm about halfway down the page. The pictures are labeled with my name, Chris Jackson. I can't be more open than that. Please be respectful, polite, and do your teachers proud.

http://warrenhillbonsai.com/Gallery/Masterpiece/Masterpiece.html

cquinn

Shohin
Reaction score
you mean you had a chance to work on these "sticks in a pot" :D Lucky you

I like to call the ones with deadwood Ogre toothpics! My personal collection is much smaller, and not even close to these beauties, but I'm learning and upgrading my material every year.

mcpesq817

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Very nice Chris - I wish I had the opportunity to work on nice trees like that. Thanks for sharing.

cquinn

Shohin
Reaction score
Very nice Chris - I wish I had the opportunity to work on nice trees like that. Thanks for sharing.

My philosophy is to go out and seek the best teachers you can. I asked the folks at bonsaimonk if they knew anyone in my area that would be willing to teach. They introduced me to a fellow that had been doing bonsai for 40 yrs. I learned a lot from him. He then introduced me to Warren and his wife. Later I called Warren and told him that I was just past the stick in a pot stage, and that I wanted to expand and find out what this was really about. He was gracious enough to agree to let me spend some time at his nursery on the recommendation of my last teacher, a person that Warren respected. This is a very Japanese way of doing things, but I was used to it from my experieces studying Aikido under Japanese Masters (most didn't speak english even). I think when one approaches bonsai in this manner, one gets a deeper understanding of the art from the Japanese perspective. It's soooooooooo much more than just making a plant look like a tree............but it isn't at the same time (I know this makes no sense). There is a spiritual essence that most trees in the West lack, including my peddley little ones.

As a side note: Most of Mr. Hills trees were grown from seed, cuttings, collected, or were grafted by him. Most have been grown with the intention of using them as bonsai material for a very long time. It takes longer than 5 yrs to get a tree with essence. Even when a tree reaches the level of good trunk line, taper, and branch placement it is still 5 to 10 yrs. out from being where it needs to be. One really needs to understand Japanese culture for this to sink in. I don't plan on having anything like this until I'm around 45 maybe.

Ang3lfir3

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Its good to see you are working with a teacher and Warren Hill is an excellent artist. You will learn a great deal and produce some interesting trees. Just make sure you realize that there is room in American bonsai for all types and styles and tastes. We are nothing if we aren't a creative group of people. Not all people have the ability to have a teacher who has been doing bonsai for a great while. My wife and I are lucky to have Daniel Robinson as a teacher and close friend however we are quite well aware that some folks must go to greater lengths, such as fly across the country, to get the time spent with a teacher.

Even when a tree reaches the level of good trunk line, taper, and branch placement it is still 5 to 10 yrs. out from being where it needs to be. One really needs to understand Japanese culture for this to sink in. I don't plan on having anything like this until I'm around 45 maybe.

that may seem like a revelation and it's good that you are excepting it. There will come a day when you plant seed that you know you will never see the completed outcome of. After field growing JBP here it takes anywhere from 15-20 yrs or more to complete there design... that is after the average 10yrs in the ground.

Top Bottom