I liked that pot too

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Acer palmatum katsura decided to force my hand on the repotting front. It's was marked for a repot but I guess late frost finally got the better of the Czech pot.

03134467 by Jerry Norbury, on Flickr

Well ready for a repot.
03134473 by Jerry Norbury, on Flickr

I broke the rest of the pot off trying to get the tree out - could maybe have repaired it but it was a €7/$8 pot.
03134480 by Jerry Norbury, on Flickr

Small tree - but a flat pancake nebari under the moss.

03134487 by Jerry Norbury, on Flickr

03134511 by Jerry Norbury, on Flickr

Tempting to go with no pot...

03134518 by Jerry Norbury, on Flickr

Decided to over pot it for a year
03134531 by Jerry Norbury, on Flickr

Done.
03134534 by Jerry Norbury, on Flickr

ColinFraser

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Bummer about the pot - I liked it too. Could you explain a little bit about your choice of shape for this tree? I like round pots, and I'm not always sure when to best implement them . . .

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
better a broken pot then a broken tree.

Spoken like a true....

Guy with a THREAD on broke pots!

---

I like the new one.

Sorce

fredman

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Love a katsura. Great looking tree. Is it growing on its own roots? I had one die back from everywhere after I layered it....:(

dick benbow

Omono
Reaction score
I have two katsura's as bonsai. One a dwarf and the other full sized. But then they're not maples....:)

I do like the look of the maple because it has that branch location referred to as "mother- daughter". A style that I deeply appreciate.

My styling preferance would be to avoid a deeper round pot with exaggerated rim and feet. I much prefer a simple oval for such a tree and much more shallow. Pots with three legged feet, normally require the front of the tree to be positioned with the lone foot centered and forward.

but the world is filled with endless opportunities relating to style, which I find much more forgiving then an emphasis on cultural directives
which I find less empowering because of nationality other than being Japanese.

eferguson1974

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Nice tree. Whats your idea for the future? Grow out and cut back, obviously but are you going to leave it styled like that? Im not at all saying it needs another style. Far from it. Im trying to learn the "when" as well as "how/why", not saying anything ugly about it in the least. Im trying to get a feel for the timing as well as styling, so I stress trees less.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Like the new pot better. Some things are serendipitous. Maybe you'll find something even better than this combo.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Bummer about the pot - I liked it too. Could you explain a little bit about your choice of shape for this tree? I like round pots, and I'm not always sure when to best implement them . . .
I prefer round pots and I had considered this unglazed one below. The tree seemed last year to suffer either wind burn or possible a leaf fungus - so I figured I'd go for the slightly larger pot. Aesthetics be damned, the tree's health is most important.

03134520 by Jerry Norbury, on Flickr

Top Bottom