I Likeus the Ficus

Mellow Mullet

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
I went to help my dad out today and he decided to give this ficus, it had became to much for him, moving in and out, due to the temperature fluctuations that we have this time of year. For size reference, the base is about eight inches. What do you think?

John

DSC00674-1.jpg DSC00676-1.jpg DSC00678-1.jpg DSC00681-1.jpg DSC00683-1.jpg DSC00685-1.jpg

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I like the rooty trunk n base!

I'd like to see you get it in a pot half as deep, with a severe cut back up top.

Sorce

KennedyMarx

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Is that a benjamina? I agree with Sorce on the pot. Half as deep maybe, and a little bit smaller in diameter. Chase some of the growth back in. It's a beefcake, but it would look more powerful if you compacted it more.

Mellow Mullet

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
I like the rooty trunk n base!

I'd like to see you get it in a pot half as deep, with a severe cut back up top.

Sorce

I plan on a new pot but it will have to wait until next year, the one that it is in now has a crack in it. As soon as it warms up, I plan on chasing some of the growth back, that will give me time to study it and formulate a plan.

John

Mellow Mullet

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
Is that a benjamina? I agree with Sorce on the pot. Half as deep maybe, and a little bit smaller in diameter. Chase some of the growth back in. It's a beefcake, but it would look more powerful if you compacted it more.

I think that it is a benjamina. How much would you chase it back?

John

Redwood Ryan

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
I think that it is a benjamina. How much would you chase it back?

John

Yep, looks like a benjamina. Whatever you do, wait until the summer when it's actively growing and strong before you do anything. When you cut the branches back make sure you leave some leaves on each branch to prevent die-back.

LanceMac10

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Chase it back? You got a lawn-mower!?!? Seriously, whack all those branches back when its nice and warm and she's a-growin' good. Start your branching closer to that great trunk. Benjis sometimes don't quite bud where you want, but what doesn't? Really cool trunk. Good luck!!

Giga

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
Yeah, that's a nice one. I would do what people have suggested. The Maine branch structure is there just need to chase it back a little and get a nice fence canopy

Mellow Mullet

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
Update:

I have been slowly chasing the foliage back since I first posted and I finally rounded up a pot for it that is a bit shallower. I won't be the final pot, but it will serve a transition pot. Here it is now:

DSC00131-1.jpg

I pulled it out of the pot and I was surprised that it did not have many roots. Some of the roots had died, I think the soil was keeping it too wet. But, I don't have any experience with this species, so this might be how the roots are supposed to look. I am more familiar with ficus neriflora.

DSC00133-1.jpg

After removing the old soil, this is all I had left.
DSC00135-1.jpg

Had to saw a little off of the bottom to get it to fit into its new home. Ran out of daylight too.
DSC00138-1.jpg

In its new home. Repotted into new soil, 2 parts fir bark, one part lava, one part pumice, and one part Turface. What do you think?
DSC00140-1.jpg

Redwood Ryan

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
This is a gorgeous tree. I'm wondering if it's actually a philippinensis...

Reactions: Vin

Mellow Mullet

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
I don't know, could be, I will ask my dad where he got it. I do know he created all of the roots by putting a pot around the lower trunk filled with soil.

John

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Nice John.

I found it real easy to keep them too wet. I think it will enjoy the new pot.

Nice Avatar! I can hear Cypress screaming!

Sorce

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Wow. Great moves!

Your dad wants it back?

Looking good!

Sorce

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It'll be "just another" ficus in spring.

Right now..it's just another ficus!

Good growth!

Sorce

Mellow Mullet

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
Update:

This guy has been growing like crazy the past month or so and it was time to remove some wire and give it a hair cut. Starting to get some decent branching and getting the foliage chased back closer to the main trunk.

Before:

DSC01177-5.jpg

DSC01179-5.jpg

DSC01183-5.jpg

Top Bottom