I likus the Ficus, Part II

Mellow Mullet

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
Time to mix some soil. Actually I should have done this first, but I forgot. I hate getting old. For this tree, I will be using Turface, lava, pumice, and fir bark; 60 percent inorganic and 40 percent organic.

DSC01724-39.jpg

DSC01728-40.jpg

A view from above, just because I think it is cool.

DSC01727-40.jpg

After securing in the pot (sorry, not pictures, it was raining while I was doing it) I added soil and used a chop stick to make sure that I did not have any air pockets.

DSC01729-40.jpg

Mellow Mullet

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
Just a couple more on the stand. I really like the pot and I potted it higher to show off the melted cheese nebari. It took most of the day and I spent a lot of time trimming the roots off of the top of the nebari, it was very tedious. What do you think?

John

DSC01739-47.jpg

DSC01740-46.jpg

Guy Vitale

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Didn't mean to ruffle your feathers, many of the trees do not have a lot of branches, if I removed more than what I already have I would have a lollipop forest --- not my goal. I do plan to reposition some and maybe remove one more, just gonna wait and see how the composition responds. Sorry I don't see it completely your way. Geez.
No feathers ruffled my friend, was never my intent to style your tree. Pictures don't always show everything going on so I don't have the same reference you do. It's all good.

LanceMac10

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Beer from a spouse?? Always a winner, (even if it's Coors Light!:p)!!!!!!!!
Really diggin' the look of the base, even though you didn't need a saw-zall!!:D
I'd be tempted to reduce the height of one or two trunks, but that's your decision.:cool:
Very cool, nice job!

Now go buy yourself some Guinness, for crying out loud!!;)

Mellow Mullet

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
Beer from a spouse?? Always a winner, (even if it's Coors Light!:p)!!!!!!!!
Really diggin' the look of the base, even though you didn't need a saw-zall!!:D
I'd be tempted to reduce the height of one or two trunks, but that's your decision.:cool:
Very cool, nice job!

Now go buy yourself some Guinness, for crying out loud!!;)

I have thought about reducing a couple of them and did a little bit. Gonna see how they come out and might go further with them.

I like Guinness, just drink Coors and such when working in the yard.

jeanluc83

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I like it!

Part of me wants to get rid of that root that snakes its way across the top of the nebari but it adds a more natural feel.

Mellow Mullet

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
I like it!

Part of me wants to get rid of that root that snakes its way across the top of the nebari but it adds a more natural feel.

Me too, and it almost got the cutters a few times. The only thing that saved it is that the tree it originates from doesn't have much of a base in the back so I left it. The root actually branches off about a third of the way from the tree and as soon as it establishes there and swells a bit I think the rest of it will get removed.

namnhi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I also like it. Lately I have a thing for clump planting. I have many cuttings of this ficus so will put some together. Very nice.
NN

Mellow Mullet

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
Update:

This group really took off and grew like crazy. Unfortunately, I was not happy with the shape, it was just a blob. Sure, I could have sheared it like a hedge and made it look better, but that would not have helped the structure. Also, it really need thinning out, so, here we go. The work occurred over a period of several days.

The start:
DSC03809-1.jpg

After thinning out and a branch removal or two:

DSC03811-1.jpg

The carnage:

DSC03813-1.jpg

More Trimming and some wire. Hopefully this will provide a better framework for the next burst of growth.

DSC03814-1.jpg

I have considered this as a new front, but the pot would have to be too large and it would weigh a ton.

DSC03815-1.jpg

DSC03817-1.jpg

DSC03819-1.jpg

Attachments

• DSC03822-1.jpg
    DSC03822-1.jpg
    435.4 KB · Views: 3

boguz

Mame
Reaction score
They look great. I just wonder how it will look after 10-15 years later? Full of fused nebari?

Giga

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
Update:

This group really took off and grew like crazy. Unfortunately, I was not happy with the shape, it was just a blob. Sure, I could have sheared it like a hedge and made it look better, but that would not have helped the structure. Also, it really need thinning out, so, here we go. The work occurred over a period of several days.

The start:
View attachment 147798

After thinning out and a branch removal or two:

View attachment 147799

The carnage:

View attachment 147800

More Trimming and some wire. Hopefully this will provide a better framework for the next burst of growth.

View attachment 147801

I have considered this as a new front, but the pot would have to be too large and it would weigh a ton.

View attachment 147802

View attachment 147803

View attachment 147804

looks great! It's funny my wife says my tree's look so full and beautiful. Then I make the cut backs and she says why'd you make it so ugly?

Mellow Mullet

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
Update

Daily rain and 1000% humidity has really got the ficus going, here is this group, it is really filling in and in need of a light trim.

DSC05149-1.jpg

DSC05150-1.jpg

DSC05151-1.jpg

DSC05152-1.jpg

Please excuse the less than stellar photos, my main camera was dead and I had to use my back up, and the lens was fogged up.

Mellow Mullet

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
I decided that since it was getting so bushy up top and that the wire was cutting in in places, that I would give this one a trim.

DSC05243-1.jpg

DSC05244-1.jpg

The carnage:

DSC05245-1.jpg

The results, I still need to take the rest of the wire off and I left some of the growth long so I can wire it up after it hardens off.

DSC05247-1.jpg

DSC05249-1.jpg

DSC05253-1.jpg

DSC05255-1.jpg

DSC05256-1.jpg

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
is this in full sun? How do you keep the moss alive if so?

Yes it is in full sun. I harvest the moss at work, there is a place by the cooling tower that gets full sun and this type grows there.

That planting is far bigger in person then it looks. Moss could grow under it in Full sun as it provides an impressive canopy ;)

Grimmy

Mellow Mullet

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
That planting is far bigger in person then it looks. Moss could grow under it in Full sun as it provides an impressive canopy ;)

Grimmy

Well there is that, too. But I have found that moss that is collected in areas that get full sun does survive better in pots.

Top Bottom