I live in New Zealand ( 10b)

Pixar

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
I've been hoping to grow more Sub-tropical / Tropical tree . What should I be growing in New Zealand ?

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
Has this tree got thorns ?
There is a thornless variety of Brazilain Rain trees, but they are more rare. The regular ones do have thorns, but you can cut them off.

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Ficus make great bonsai. Stay clear of the mass produced buddah's belly fig unless you like the odd looking tuberous roots. Try to find Ficus rubiginosa - an Aussie native but one of the best as bonsai.
Dwarf schefflera is used for bonsai but has those large palmate leaves.
Portulacaria afra is frost tender succulent but can make good looking bonsai. Very easy to propagate from branches or transplant an older plant from Grandma's garden.

You should probably consider some NZ natives as well. Some seem to have great potential but currently underutilized.

There are probably lots more but I don't know many as it gets a bit too cold down here.

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
You can grow citrus. For bonsai, it is best to stick with the smaller fruiting species, but that still leaves a lot of options - Key limes, calamondins, kumquats.

Maiden69

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Stay clear of the mass produced buddah's belly fig unless you like the odd looking tuberous roots.
PLEASE!!! In addition, the grafted micro-carpa/green island/or whatever else ficus used almost always look badly done.

Ficus tigerbark is also good, and a very strong grower. I have stayed away from BRT because of the thorns, they are HUGE, and in my opinion, BRT only looks good in a big size bonsai. Another option a little similar is the Delonix Regia or Ponciana (Flamboyant tree). Spain's bonsai artist David Cortizas lives in Cadiz, 10a, not much different weather from you I think and he grows Chinese Elm and Trident maples in his area, while not tropical or sub, very nice species to grow as bonsai.

Mango tree, Rose Apple (if you can get it there) are a few nice bark tropical fruit trees I remember growing up in the tropics. Pomegranates and Guava are decent mid size brushes with awesome smooth bark. Guava wood is SUPER STRONG... my grandmas favorite "attitude adjustment stick"

Top Bottom