I love this juniper

RNbonsai

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I’ve only had this one for 2 years probably, bought it as a bush in a pot at a nursery, don’t have a pic.
I’ll try to update this with growth. I’m very pleased with how it is doing and how I styled it. It’s the first one I’ve wired flat branches so well.
It may not be the greatest bonsai in the world, but it is the most classic looking bonsai I’ve created.

Very happy with it, and it’s growing well!
This is a bit of a pat myself on the back post, but I’m ok with that. Any input is appreciated

Attachments

• D630F37E-ADFD-452C-BA81-76CD6D1F4244.jpeg
    D630F37E-ADFD-452C-BA81-76CD6D1F4244.jpeg
    202.4 KB · Views: 380
  • 13277723-5390-42AB-85B0-916BA65EFA69.jpeg
    13277723-5390-42AB-85B0-916BA65EFA69.jpeg
    198.7 KB · Views: 408

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I'd like to see you get rid of the upward growing branches in time.

It seems the remainder will be enough to form a tree in the future.

Those are the only bad eye catchers to me.

Pat Pat!

Sorce

Sansui

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a

Pat Pat!

Sorce
I agree with Sorce's assessment. Beautiful work! At this stage of the tree's development I find the upward growth tufts lend a positive robust aspect.

RNbonsai

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
The straight up part on top will have to change to look softer, not a needle as it is now. I think I’ll have to deal with that in the future, and also the heaviness of the left side. That portion needs tightening.
But that’ll be the next step, not this one.
Thanks for the positive feedback, it’s the first tree I have reported into my own soil, bonsai pot, and styled well without killing the tree

coltranem

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
The top of the tree looks good though I wonder if you should reduce the height more in time using lower growth as the apex. It seems like you are not using the lower branches in the design. If it were mine I'd turned the thicker one into a jin maybe the thinner one too . It is not clear from the pictures but where is you primary bottom branch?

BunjaeKorea

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a

Pat Pat!

Sorce
I agree but I say....jin it.....jin it now

W3rk

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Or just bend that top thin section down: you can compact the tree more, but use it to add some dimension, bend it to the back and put more foliage behind the tree for more depth.

Lazylightningny

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Update pics
Hey there, nice start! If the tree seems weak (pale foliage and/or not growing many buds) then leave it completely alone other than sun, water, and fertilizer. All foliage, no matter what direction it's growing in, will help your tree recover from the work that was done. The hardest thing to do to your tree is to do nothing! Don't forget to remove the wire if it starts to bite in. You can re-wire this fall.

If the tree is strong, it's green lights and full speed ahead! I would start a training regime of gradually cutting back the strong branches and leaving the smaller branches alone to strengthen, thicken, and lengthen.

Best of luck!

RNbonsai

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I’m doing the hardest step you mentioned, nothing. Wires doing good.

it looks healthy to me but your opinion would be appreciated.
Does it look to be growing well? Does it look healthy? I haven’t fertilized this year yet mostly due to fatigue from work unfortunately.

I have noticed it is growing juvenile foliage now. I stressed it hard when I styled it with style and a hard repot very close to each other. It’s alive and growing but I think I pushed it to hard. May take a few seasons to get back to mature foliage.

i really would love to hear your opinion on its growth, and health you visualize in my tree. I know it’s hard via pictures alone but any advice or help I appreciate.

Lazylightningny

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I have noticed it is growing juvenile foliage now. I stressed it hard when I styled it with style and a hard repot very close to each other. It’s alive and growing but I think I pushed it to hard.
Looks like you answered your own question. If this work was done recently, you need to give it time to recover. Looks like you have a good start. If it were mine, I'd leave it alone now. That's going to be very hard for you to do. It could still easily die, even if you do no more work to it.

Did you bare root it, or is it still in the nursery soil?

What are your temperatures in Dallas now? If it's hot, you may have to water it twice a day and/or place a topping of shredded and sifted sphagnum moss on top to reduce evaporative loss.

cedarcanvas

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hey, nice tree, thanks for sharing! Can’t offer any advice but following to learn. What type of juniper is this?

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I’m doing the hardest step you mentioned, nothing. Wires doing good.

it looks healthy to me but your opinion would be appreciated.
Does it look to be growing well? Does it look healthy? I haven’t fertilized this year yet mostly due to fatigue from work unfortunately.

I have noticed it is growing juvenile foliage now. I stressed it hard when I styled it with style and a hard repot very close to each other. It’s alive and growing but I think I pushed it to hard. May take a few seasons to get back to mature foliage.

i really would love to hear your opinion on its growth, and health you visualize in my tree. I know it’s hard via pictures alone but any advice or help I appreciate.
You have identified the health issue! Removing too much foliage at one time results in juvenile growth and that takes time to recover from.
One note of advice with respect to juniper and wiring! Juniper are at their best with movement, straight lines can be difficult to incorporate in design!
With wiring branches try to begin with a downward curve and follow with side to side and upward as you move outward! Gentle subtle movement can be more powerful than straight sections.
it is difficult to judge from a picture but when I look at the overall design a few straight section seem to catch my eye! The tree still looks young enough to bend those portions a bit if that is the case!
Not trying to be critical just perhaps a way to improve your results! Now when you look at the tree in person perhaps it does not present that way so disregard my comments if the picture distorts the actual movement!

RNbonsai

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
There are definitely a few straight spots that I notice- Think its safe to adjust them now?. I didn't bare root it, but I did do a lot with the tree and did move the roots welll. I had planned to just wait till it was growing strong again to adjust it.

Japonicus

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Reading the 1st few posts, so many are advocating to lose the current apex or top.
Where then is it best to advocate a sacrifice? The top is weaker than the bottom currently.
You’re wanting to establish more and more foliage at this point.
Leave the top, leave everything for now. You can cut the top back a few years down the road
or you may find with whatever cultivar this is, that it lends itself to a taller bonsai than current.

You should be able to clean the under side of the lower branches in July
and probably need to carefully remove the smaller gauge wire even sooner.

Did you ever establish what cultivar this is? Foliage looks similar to the type on my gold lace
or pfitzer which I have my doubts on pfitzer .

RNbonsai

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Not sure the specific cultivator.
I agree with you, the top is weaker than the bottom. I believe the best way to get the top stronger is to leave it all alone,let it grow and gain strength. I don’t have a super set image of this tree. Im growing the tree into the best tree it can possibly become. Like kids it is my job to guide them, encourage or discourage behaviors and let them grow into themselves.
I love this tree, it will become better with time.

Top Bottom