i need help about olea bonsai

nisagumustepe

Seedling
Reaction score
Hi. First I dont know too much english. Sorry for this :)
Today i bought a new olea bonsai. But bonsai's trunk is approximately 50 cm. i wanna shorten it.
i am from turkey and the weather is cold in this days.
I will be happy if you are help about this and other care things.
I added a photo1582922387000..jpg

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Wait till spring. Then..

nisagumustepe

Seedling
Reaction score
Wait till spring. Then..
Thank you :))
I hope my tree's trunk not thin for this

BrianBay9

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Once the weather is warm you should be able to shorten your trunk as much as you want.

nisagumustepe

Seedling
Reaction score
Once the weather is warm you should be able to shorten your trunk as much as you want.
Thanks :) i know i'm new. And i need your information how to create bonsai , how irrigation and soil.

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Olive is very hardy. It does not require special anything. Just water when the soil gets a little dry. They will grow in almost any soil but I still use a good bonsai potting mix for my olives. Use any plant fertilizer every 3-4 weeks when the tree is growing.
Olives like to grow new shoots from the roots and from the base of the tree. If you want new trunks you can let some grow. I just keep cutting those new shoots off to keep the main trunk.
Olive trees are quite slow to grow . It will take many years to grow a fat trunk bonsai from this skinny trunk.

I think olives should be kept outside. They like sun and wind. It may not grow well inside. Olive is quite cold hardy and should cope with most weather in Turkey so outside would be best for your olive.

nisagumustepe

Seedling
Reaction score
Olive is very hardy. It does not require special anything. Just water when the soil gets a little dry. They will grow in almost any soil but I still use a good bonsai potting mix for my olives. Use any plant fertilizer every 3-4 weeks when the tree is growing.
Olives like to grow new shoots from the roots and from the base of the tree. If you want new trunks you can let some grow. I just keep cutting those new shoots off to keep the main trunk.
Olive trees are quite slow to grow . It will take many years to grow a fat trunk bonsai from this skinny trunk.

I think olives should be kept outside. They like sun and wind. It may not grow well inside. Olive is quite cold hardy and should cope with most weather in Turkey so outside would be best for your olive.
You really helped to me thank you :)

bluesky

Mame
Reaction score
All of the above.

Also, keep it in that pot this year, maybe longer. The established roots are needed to grow out new leaves/branches. You could check the roots in late summer and only if they're overcrowded put it into a bigger pot.
We sometimes see beginner enthusiasts trying to squeeze a developing tree into a small bonsai pot, but if you do that you will slow the development and stop the trunk from getting fatter.

nisagumustepe

Seedling
Reaction score
İ
All of the above.

Also, keep it in that pot this year, maybe longer. The established roots are needed to grow out new leaves/branches. You could check the roots in late summer and only if they're overcrowded put it into a bigger pot.
We sometimes see beginner enthusiasts trying to squeeze a developing tree into a small bonsai pot, but if you do that you will slow the development and stop the trunk from getting fatter.

I will what you say, thanks :)

nisagumustepe

Seedling
Reaction score
With your assistances I decided wait until it's trunk fatter and the weather warmer. Today was snowy so tree was in home. After couple weeks i will take it to balcony.
I postpone the shortening it.
If it is wrong decision please warn me.

Top Bottom