I need help grafting pines!!!!!!!

docs_bonsai

Yamadori
Reaction score
I’ve been grafting deciduous trees for a long and I have had great success. Now I want to graft black pine and cedar. I’ve read a lot of articles on the subject and I don’t think it should be that difficult. The only problem I've had so far is the articles don’t explain when the best time to graft. Here in Central California the pines are now pushing candles and my cedars are also moving. I want to get a jump on this and not knowing when to start is a problem. Can anyone out there enlighten me on the best time to graft?
Thanks

garywood

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hi doc, I've been grafting a long time and if you are grafting maples you will find pines EASY. Comparing cambium between the two is like a sidewalk to a two lane road :) I've grafted with success all year round except when the candles are really pushing, rates go way down. The best time is very early spring, where ever you are 3-4 weeks before the candles start to move. I say that's the best because even though at other times the rates can be the same but aftercare can be a bit problematic. I don't graft cedar so I can't help on that one.
Wood

bonhe

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Talk about black pine. I see you're in Central California. I'm living in Riverside with summer temp can easily go up to 105 F. In my area, the best time for grafting black pine is Jan, Feb. However, Sep is also OK, if it is placed in shady, cool place. Good luck. Bonhe

docs_bonsai

Yamadori
Reaction score
Thanks for the info. The project is on. If I can return the favor drop me a line.

Doc

Top Bottom