I need help

KAkoswim3

Seedling
Reaction score
Hi I’m new in this whole bonsai thing and I got one for my birthday but they threw the tag away so I don’t know what type of bonsai I have so I can’t take proper care of it... I would greatly appreciate if you could tell me what bonsai I have

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    179.2 KB · Views: 38

Japonicus

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Hi I’m new in this whole bonsai thing and I got one for my birthday but they threw the tag away so I don’t know what type of bonsai I have so I can’t take proper care of it... I would greatly appreciate if you could tell me what bonsai I have
Welcome to the club! :)
It's a juniper. An outdoor plant, not indoor. Where did it come from?

It will help to edit your details to include your general location and USDA grow zone.
Here's a link
or search USDA grow zone map.

When you water it, does the water pass though fairly well or puddle up?
This is important, as it is a good time here in the states to prepare for potting up junipers.
You don't want to start pruning it prior to a repot. You want it to become mildly dry between waterings
I mean it should still have some weight to the heft but lighter than when initially watered,
Best to scratch the soils surface and get a visual on how dry it is before you water it.
Are you in the US?

KAkoswim3

Seedling
Reaction score
Procumbens juniper... outside only, full sun.
But can it be kept indoors I live in Tx and the sun is killing it out here I am afraid that it will dry up too much... right now I have it inside but beside a window and like I said before there is plenty of sun

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
Nice little bonsai.
Yes, it is a Juniper. Juniperus procumbens is the scientific name. There is a lot of information on using Juniper Procumbens in the Juniper thread of Bonsai Nut. There is a lot to read through, some threads are "higher quality" than others.

There is a good three part tutorial on developing foliage pads in junipers in the Resources section of BNut. I will only post the link to part one, you can find the rest.

A good discussion of watering bonsai

And a little article about different types of Junipers.

So there is some reading up for you. The above will answer many questions, some you did not know you had.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Welcome to Crazy!

Texas got no trees outside?

Pull that weed!

Sorce

KAkoswim3

Seedling
Reaction score
Welcome to the club! :)
It's a juniper. An outdoor plant, not indoor. Where did it come from?

It will help to edit your details to include your general location and USDA grow zone.
Here's a link
or search USDA grow zone map.

When you water it, does the water pass though fairly well or puddle up?
This is important, as it is a good time here in the states to prepare for potting up junipers.
You don't want to start pruning it prior to a repot. You want it to become mildly dry between waterings
I mean it should still have some weight to the heft but lighter than when initially watered,
Best to scratch the soils surface and get a visual on how dry it is before you water it.
Are you in the US?
My USDA zone 9a, I don’t know from where it came from and the water goes very well it does not puddle

KAkoswim3

Seedling
Reaction score
Nice little bonsai.
Yes, it is a Juniper. Juniperus procumbens is the scientific name. There is a lot of information on using Juniper Procumbens in the Juniper thread of Bonsai Nut. There is a lot to read through, some threads are "higher quality" than others.

There is a good three part tutorial on developing foliage pads in junipers in the Resources section of BNut. I will only post the link to part one, you can find the rest.

A good discussion of watering bonsai

And a little article about different types of Junipers.

So there is some reading up for you. The above will answer many questions, some you did not know you had.
Thx for the help

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
Junipers are often sold as "Indoor Bonsai", and the truth is, if you are a skilled indoor horticulturist, with a light garden set up able to bring in a crop of tomatoes or marijuana indoors, you can indeed grow Junipers indoors. But they are not easy to keep happy indoors.

The pane of glass in the window, cuts out at a minimum for a single pane cuts 30% of the sunlight. Gas filled double or triple panes windows cut out 60% to 70% of the sunlight. Full sun indoors is at best equivalent to medium shade outdoors. It takes a fairly sophisticated light set up, or Lights plus natural light through a window set up to grow Junipers well indoors. It is much easier to grow them outdoors. However, in Texas, you can not just plunk it outdoors without doing a step wise transition.

First week outdoors, set the tree in full shade outdoors. Then the second week move it to a location that gets direct sun in the morning, shade in the afternoon. then week 3 or 4 you can move the tree to a place that has 6 or more hours of direct sun. Texas is hot. When the heat of summer kicks in, and temperatures go over 100 F, move the tree back to shade, so it does not cook in the brutal sun.

Watering. When you move the tree outdoors, you will have to water much more often. Check at least once a day, or twice a day in hot weather. Water if it is dry. In the hottest days of summer, it might need water twice a day. Another reason to move the tree back to part shade in really hot weather.

Juniperus procumbens is winter hardy everywhere in Texas. It can be left outdoors all winter.. So do not panic when autumn comes. It will be just fine. All you have to do is move it from on top of the bench to on the ground. that is it.

You can bring it back inside to enjoy for a day or two at a time. A few days indoors won't hurt it during the growing season. In winter, keep the indoors visits shorter than 24 hours, or it will loose some of its winter hardiness.

Hope this helps.

KAkoswim3

Seedling
Reaction score
Junipers are often sold as "Indoor Bonsai", and the truth is, if you are a skilled indoor horticulturist, with a light garden set up able to bring in a crop of tomatoes or marijuana indoors, you can indeed grow Junipers indoors. But they are not easy to keep happy indoors.

The pane of glass in the window, cuts out at a minimum for a single pane cuts 30% of the sunlight. Gas filled double or triple panes windows cut out 60% to 70% of the sunlight. Full sun indoors is at best equivalent to medium shade outdoors. It takes a fairly sophisticated light set up, or Lights plus natural light through a window set up to grow Junipers well indoors. It is much easier to grow them outdoors. However, in Texas, you can not just plunk it outdoors without doing a step wise transition.

First week outdoors, set the tree in full shade outdoors. Then the second week move it to a location that gets direct sun in the morning, shade in the afternoon. then week 3 or 4 you can move the tree to a place that has 6 or more hours of direct sun. Texas is hot. When the heat of summer kicks in, and temperatures go over 100 F, move the tree back to shade, so it does not cook in the brutal sun.

Watering. When you move the tree outdoors, you will have to water much more often. Check at least once a day, or twice a day in hot weather. Water if it is dry. In the hottest days of summer, it might need water twice a day. Another reason to move the tree back to part shade in really hot weather.

Juniperus procumbens is winter hardy everywhere in Texas. It can be left outdoors all winter.. So do not panic when autumn comes. It will be just fine. All you have to do is move it from on top of the bench to on the ground. that is it.

You can bring it back inside to enjoy for a day or two at a time. A few days indoors won't hurt it during the growing season. In winter, keep the indoors visits shorter than 24 hours, or it will loose some of its winter hardiness.

Hope this helps.
Thx a lot I will follow your instructions step by step... I will ask if I have another question but these will more than do for now

Top Bottom