I need help

Hrl202020

Seed
Reaction score
Hi, so I’m new to this plant and bonsai thing. I am growing three flame trees and one black spruce. I bought one of those bonsai starter kits.

But anyways, I have one tree that has a brown stem but the stem is hard. Is that normal? Also another one broke apart from its roots. Will I be able to save that one? I’ll have pictures attached. If it helps, I started them on 10-18-2020

I watered them yesterday, but before that I didn’t water them for a few days.
I would really like some help please. Thank you

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    206.6 KB · Views: 45
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    215.5 KB · Views: 42
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    205.4 KB · Views: 48

Cypress187

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I don't see anything strange. You could always try again.

Welcome to the forum!

Most of us begin with bigger/older material not from seed, if you want to make a bonsai out of these you will need a lot of patience (half a decade).

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Growing from seed can be very rewarding and its lots of fun, but there is a learning curve as for anything else.
Your seedlings do not look good. Your soil mix also does not look good. I don't know if they dried too much or if they are too wet. Either is likely to be fatal.
There are many plants that can go from seed to small bonsai in just a few years, particularly tropical ones.

Hrl202020

Seed
Reaction score
Growing from seed can be very rewarding and its lots of fun, but there is a learning curve as for anything else.
Your seedlings do not look good. Your soil mix also does not look good. I don't know if they dried too much or if they are too wet. Either is likely to be fatal.
There are many plants that can go from seed to small bonsai in just a few years, particularly tropical ones.
If I try again, what could I do different? I just bought a potting mix because that’s what I thought I needed. I had done research and looked everything up to help me with planting the seeds, but I guess I must have done something wrong. Any help would be great.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
If I try again, what could I do different? I just bought a potting mix because that’s what I thought I needed. I had done research and looked everything up to help me with planting the seeds, but I guess I must have done something wrong. Any help would be great.
Use your potting mix but cut it with 30 - 50% perlite so it will breath. You might even consider a fungicide.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Welcome to Crazy!

The broke one may root of you jam it back in the soil.

Sorce

Wulfskaar

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Don't give up until they die! I have been growing from seeds too and I nearly tossed them because I thought they were goners. For mine, they needed more water and sun and they came right back to life.

Make sure your pots drain. I am using peat as soil and when I water, the water runs right through. I let it get to where it looks dry but not totally dry and then I water enough for it to come out the bottom.

Njyamadori

Chumono
Reaction score
I’m a beginner with like 3.5 months and I can tell your doing it all wrong . Start with basic material. Watch esie en bonsai/Bjorn on youtube. Go collect or go to bonsai nursery’s !!!

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
OK, I am going to disagree here. THere are multiple roads to get to bonsai. The longest road may be from seed. But.. I know the satistfaction you get when you see seedlings pop their head up. See the first leaves and the joy of seeing a bunch seedlings leafing out after their first winter, all wired for their first gogogo season.

There is NOTHING wrong with growing from seed. Just realize you put yourself 5-10 years behind in terms of time-to-trunk.

I have been starting plants from seed my whole life, or at least since I can remember. My parents transformed agricultural lands in a half hectare of forest (which they sold last year, sigh). I have planted many an acorn there. Over the 3 decades this area has become convincing semi-mature. Trunks of 10-20 inches, species dependent.

It is realistic to grow bonsai from seed. Just start knowing what it takes and decide based on that.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It is realistic to grow bonsai from seed. Just start knowing what it takes and decide based on that.
This ^^^^
It is very rewarding and gives you near complete control. Those who are overly concerned with time invested should find a hobby that realistically fits their profile, or they should purchase bonsai.

smilezzz

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hi there, just my 2c as a beginner (5 years since I started collecting), and by no means do I want to offend anyone here, but I think some people on here have been in the art for many years, or fortunate enough to have parents or figures that have instilled in them the value of good arboristic practices, or have had access to the space required to grow out in the ground. Personally, I've not had any of these. From a beginners perspective, I think it's more to do with beginners getting the 3Ds when starting by seed: disillusioned, dissatisfied and disappointed. I personally hate starter kits, as many newbies anticipate to have a fully formed bonsai within a year or two from them. It's a rip off whereby well intentioned, but gullible people are basically conned into purchasing a few items which could be got at a fraction of the price if they purchased it separately. When things obviously don't progress as fast as desired, interest wanes, and the WHOLE set ends up in cupboard somewhere (sans soil). By starting with a nice pre bonsai, or even a few simple nursery trees, interest can then build by seeing near immediate results. I attended a workshop at a popular retail nursery on behalf of my club, and so many people don't know how long it actually takes for anything resembling a tree to get formed.

I wasted shed loads on just a few of these "kits", and the few seeds that did actually pop up all dampened off eventually, obviously due to my ignorance (caring for a tree differs greatly to caring for a seedling). I almost quit many times. It's been an expensive journey to date for me, but joining a club, I grew to see that, tools notwithstanding, it didn't have to be.

Yes, starting by seed is fantastic (I personally have 30 JRP and 20 JBP that are now 2 years old), but only once you have a few nice trees going already.

In a nutshell, if you have a small interest in the art, don't get a starter kit, rather buy seeds and some coir and a couple of seedling trays to get them started, but also get one or two pre bonsai so that you don't feel to bad when they eventually die, you'll still have your big tree to keep you going.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I personally hate starter kits, as many newbies anticipate to have a fully formed bonsai within a year or two from them. It's a rip off whereby well intentioned, but gullible people are basically conned into purchasing
I think it is on par with telephone fraud.

Top Bottom