I need some care advice for a struggling juniper....Mites? Tip blight? Something else??

Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
I've got a blue point juniper (with its own thread linked here) that's struggling with some kind of issue. I'm not sure if it's mites, tip blight, or something else, but I'd like to try to get to the bottom of it. I'm hoping some of the more experienced members of the forum might recognize what's going on and point me in the right direction to get this tree back into good health. I've attached a few photos of some of the afflicted areas.

Any advice is much appreciated

Attachments

• 210701 1.jpg
    210701 1.jpg
    170.3 KB · Views: 65
  • 210701 2.jpg
    210701 2.jpg
    116.7 KB · Views: 57
  • 210701 3.jpg
    210701 3.jpg
    144.2 KB · Views: 52
  • 210701 4.jpg
    210701 4.jpg
    210.9 KB · Views: 57
  • 210701 5.jpg
    210701 5.jpg
    192.1 KB · Views: 55
  • 210701 6.jpg
    210701 6.jpg
    168.6 KB · Views: 53
  • 210701 7.jpg
    210701 7.jpg
    170.6 KB · Views: 62

bwaynef

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
This tree looks like it was pinched.

Esolin

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
The new growth looks healthy. It might've been a fungal/dampness issue that is resolving itself. Do you see new browning actively occuring on the growing tips, or is it just on the older growth?

Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
The new growth looks healthy. It might've been a fungal/dampness issue that is resolving itself. Do you see new browning actively occuring on the growing tips, or is it just on the older growth?

The new growth looks super healthy, that's partly why I'm so confused about what might be going on. There is a bit of browning going on with the new growing tips, but not nearly to the same extent as on some of the older growth. If the tree had mites or aphids or some other pest, it seems that the whole tree would be affected equally. Same if there were some kind of fungal issue.

When you say dampness issue, are you suggesting that I'm overwatering and not giving the tree enough time to dry out?

Esolin

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
The new growth looks super healthy, that's partly why I'm so confused about what might be going on. There is a bit of browning going on with the new growing tips, but not nearly to the same extent as on some of the older growth. If the tree had mites or aphids or some other pest, it seems that the whole tree would be affected equally. Same if there were some kind of fungal issue.

When you say dampness issue, are you suggesting that I'm overwatering and not giving the tree enough time to dry out?

Maybe, maybe not. I was just curious because I have a tendency to overwater in our climate, especially in the winter, and particularly after I've worked a tree. I forget that less foliage = less water needs, but don't reduce my schedule. I had a juniper that I worked hard, over watered and kept in part shade before I really knew much about them. It looked pretty crappy for a year and a half before I wised up, repotted it in catcus mix and left it alone for two years. This year finally it's pushing lots of non-stressed growth. Fertilizing regularly helped too.

From the other thread, it looks like your juniper got a significant foliage reduction last year, yes? Perhaps it's still sulking a little. If there's more new growth than die-back, and the dieback is just little bits here and there, I'd probably wait it out through the summer and see if it gets better on it's own. But if you observe it's getting worse, or want to be cautious, you could treat it with an antifungal and/or a systemic pesticide. I do this from time to time as a Spring preventative or if a juniper is starting to look a little stressed. Just make sure you shelter it from super hot sun for a couple days after treatment, as some treatments can cause additional stress damage if the foliage gets sunbaked after application.

But I'm pretty new at this, so take my advice with a gain of salt.

Top Bottom