I need to secure a few pots down...care to share photos how you do yours

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I have a few pots I wish to secure while I'm away. Thought bungee cord slipped through the gaps of the wood bringing under it and back up and around securing the hooks to the lip of the pot. But, not sure that's the way to go. (The little pot of hope gets stuck in the ground upon my return when I can water it.)
image.jpg

The wisteria is throwing off tendrils...so I have it on the ground away from the trees. Hoping it doesn't attach itself to anything.

image.jpg

Last edited:

whfarro

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
I use small bungee cords. They come in so many colors , you can likely find some that are less visible. Easy to remove if you want to turn a pot or place else where. No the most attractive thing, but has probably saved a tree or two from wind, rainstorms etc.

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Thought bungee cord slipped through the gaps of the wood bringing under it and back up and around securing the hooks to the lip of the pot.

Run the bungee cord across the top of the pot next to the trunks. Hook the cord to the table or together underneath it. I don't think hooking them to the pots is a good idea and the cord next to the trunk will help keep the tree in place if there is heavy rains, winds, etc... I have done it that way many times with good results.
Any wire, rope, or strong twine can be done the same way.

Grimmy

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I just sit the ones that can be blown over by winds on the ground when it starts whipping.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I just sit the ones that can be blown over by winds on the ground when it starts whipping.
The one I'm concerns about is a cascade...so it can't sit firmly on the ground because of it's branches that cascade won't allow it. But that is what I did for my wisteria.

Last edited:

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Run the bungee cord across the top of the pot next to the trunks. Hook the cord to the table or together underneath it. I don't think hooking them to the pots is a good idea and the cord next to the trunk will help keep the tree in place if there is heavy rains, winds, etc... I have done it that way many times with good results.
Any wire, rope, or strong twine can be done the same way.

Grimmy
Thanks Grimmy! Yes, I was thinking I was going about it wrong possibly. Thanks...I will try to fasten it under the table then. Your description sounds far more sound for the pots sake...as well as the tree.

whfarro

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
Thanks Grimmy! Yes, I was thinking I was going about it wrong possibly. Thanks...I will try to fasten it under the table then. Your description sounds far more sound for the pots sake...as well as the tree.
I do as Grim does. Don't hook to the pot. Run cord across the top near the trunk and hook underneath or to underside of bench.

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The one I'm concerns about is a cascade...so it can't sit firmly on the ground because of it's branches that cascade won't allow it. But that is what I did for my wisteria.

Ahhhh! I need to pay better attention. I would probably do as Grim suggested. It's no fun getting home and seeing trees strewn all over laying on their sides with exposed roots and broken pots. I know.

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
The one I'm concerns about is a cascade...

If they weigh under 20 pounds they need to be secured in the North East. In addition potted on small legs is great for drainage but on lighter plants it is evil on a windy day. Mike has a lot of heavy specimens. The few I have left are as well so it is not usually a concern on those especially on the ground. Now as I intro new small stuff I will certainly be looking at everything being secured all of the time.

Grimmy

VAFisher

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I have a tall Scots Pine in a light plastic nursery pot that blew off the bench twice this spring. Luckily there were no damaged branches and only the top inch or so of soil spilled out of the pot. Probably not the most elegant solution, but what I did was drop the light plastic pot down into a little bigger (and heavier) clay pot. Then I filled in between the 2 with gravel from my driveway. It's heavy enough not to go anywhere now. Of course, it looks a little strange but it's not in a bonsai pot yet anyway, so...

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
After losing two nice cascades to the wind and Varmit Cong (thanks Mike, I can't look at a squirrel without that jumping into my brain, lol) I use the tiny bungee cords in the manner mentioned above, works like a charm.

John
I'm thinking after I've secured them...that I most likely will go the same route where they are kept full time. I don't wish to lose them to wind. Not always guaranteed to be home when wind gusts hit.

lordy

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I might nest them all side touching side on the table top, and then put bricks or blocks or something else heavy around them. Sand bags? Paint cans? bags of soil? This is for short term, right?
The wisteria should'nt pull itself over, but the tendrils may attach to something thereby perhaps helping to secure it. I dont think I would worry about the wisteria!
You may want to think about how they will be watered while you are away, though.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I'd just put them on the floor...it's hard to fall off of.

That would work if I didn't have three dogs that will be running around for the caregiver when he takes them outside that aren't trained to leave that area alone. I think if they start wrestling amongst themselves where they typically do...then that would be an issue. This is the only area that is sort blocked by most wind. But if we get a storm then that won't apply.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I might nest them all side touching side on the table top, and then put bricks or blocks or something else heavy around them. Sand bags? Paint cans? bags of soil? This is for short term, right?
The wisteria should'nt pull itself over, but the tendrils may attach to something thereby perhaps helping to secure it. I dont think I would worry about the wisteria!
You may want to think about how they will be watered while you are away, though.

They are on a timed water sprinkler system. I also have a few with mites...so I am not wishing them extremely close to each other. Hoping they don't spread the way it is.

Top Bottom