I need[want!] to collect a Maple (in FL), any & all advice (timing, tips, cultivars etc) would be GREATLY appreciated!! :)

SU2

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
In my area there should be
red maple, Florida (sugar) maple, box elder maple and silver maple
, yet I'm just clueless on them and, with cypress considerations on my mind, I've started noticing that there's a ton of Maples around me at my friend's property with the BC's!! So anyways I've gotten eager to figure-out whether the just-before-bud-burst collection-time works for these (or any FL) Maples, am also unsure how large a trunk-chop they can take / is optimal, or whether there's a cultivar I should be aiming for (and, if so, whether I should disregard the ones that are next to BC's in swampy low-land areas!)

Thanks a ton, I hate being ignorant enough about them that I can't ID them w/o visual references and would normally start researching solo before posting but with the collecting-season so soon (I expect...just assuming, and hoping!, that it's a "trunk-chop & collect whatever size you like, anytime shortly-before spring's bud-break"), well, I figured I'd ask for some help to get me on the right path here!! Again thank you and happy new year BN!!! :)

(FWIW I'm "experienced" at collecting so am good w/ collection practices / after-care / etc, almost every.single.plant in my garden was either collected or propagated, can count on 1 hand how many trees I have that I didn't find or create myself!)

choppychoppy

Chumono
Reaction score
Collect now till mid Feb. Red maple is about only thing native with a leaf size that's manageable. Can collect almost any size up to anything you can handle.

Top Bottom