I put an ad on Craigslist to trade trees but included "would sell/buy", got an offer that I suspect is a scammer, badly need advice!

SU2

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
So I put an ad up on CL's 'farm & garden' section, I wanted to just do trades (as my collection is mostly bougies, wanted to diversify!) but since it's a for-sale section I included "would sell/buy specimen as well but really just looking to trade"

I got a couple go-nowhere email replies, but 1 guy called me within a day of the ad going up, saying he wanted to buy- he had a heavy accent and I had put my phone # as "text only" so was a bit upset and got off the phone quickly saying 'has to be text/email'. He continued with texts that were confusing (probably language barrier?) to the point I removed my phone # from the ad and told him to keep it to email, not to text anymore - I didn't hear from him for a few days, then today he texted again saying he'd lost his email password (?) as his excuse for texting....thinking he's just a tire-kicker and not wanting anymore contact with him, I made-up crazy-high prices, I told him pic #1 is $350 - he then asked about the top/large guy in pic#2 and I said $275 - his next text (that I've still not replied to, this is all within the last hour) was "$500 for those two plus picture #3" (the wood-boxed, raft-style bougie in pic #3), here's the pics 1-3 from the ad:
pic1.jpgpic3.jpgpic2.jpg

I didn't expect a situation like this, was hoping to find local hobbyists to befriend and trade with, I'd hate selling some of my better specimen (pic#1 is my favorite specimen, pic 3 is my 2nd-favorite..) but I'm quite broke so really could use the $$.....

I'm hoping those who frequent this subforum can tell me something like "pic 1 is worth $100 maximum", so I can just write this guy off as a scammer....it would really pain me to sell the 3 but I really could use the $, I've got others who depend on me financially and wouldn't feel right keeping a few trees when I could've gotten half a grand for them....but I'm worried he's a scammer, that if I reply 'yes' to him he's either going to start talking about shipping and wire-transfers, or that if he came to my place he'd start trying to negotiate downwards (and, at that point, I'd be very worried about a stranger I'm not sure about knowing where my garden's located...) In all the calls, his phone# has been a non-local area code, and one of he multiple times I told him 'email only please' his excuse was he'd "lost his password" (lolwut?) It feels fishy...but if I really could get $500 I'd feel bad not doing it....any thoughts/advice on this would be hugely appreciated!!!

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
You dont have to have him to the house.

Unless he's gonna rob you, armed, I don't think you have to worry.

Unless it was an African Accent!

Just keep the ball in your field.

Sorce

Giga

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
just sell on FB auctions, never use craigslist

Rose Mary

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Have the person meet you in a public location. If they agree to meet (not where you live and grow) to see the trees why would it be assumed its a scam? Most scams seems want to send you a larger check than the purchase and you to send them change. lol
I use craigslist all the time. I just never allow anyone to come to my place or give an address

SU2

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
You dont have to have him to the house.

Unless he's gonna rob you, armed, I don't think you have to worry.

Unless it was an African Accent!

Just keep the ball in your field.

Sorce
ROFL! I'm not the type that's 'easy target' for hard robbery like that, am more concerned about someone knowing where my garden is and stealing when I'm not around, my backyard is easily accessible so if you knew where I lived and wanted to rob me you could really make a killing (in fact I lost a little specimen to the wind recently, I found where the lil guy rolled-off to but just the thought of someone being in my garden w/o me had me so bugged-out that I'm now in the middle of setting-up a camera for my backyard (I live in a tri-plex that's adjacent to another tri-plex, I'm the only one out of 6 units that uses the backyard but technically 6 different 'homes' can look out their back window into my yard)

/and c'mon, a racist joke? :(

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Have the person meet you in a public location. If they agree to meet (not where you live and grow) to see the trees why would it be assumed its a scam? Most scams seems want to send you a larger check than the purchase and you to send them change. lol
I use craigslist all the time. I just never allow anyone to come to my place or give an address

Craigslist to me means "Starbucks parking lot".

SU2

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
scam 100%

That's my gut feeling, I just replied that I'd do it and asked him when's a good time & place to meet-up - he responded 'what good time for u on week fay' (literal transcription of the reply I just received) Just replied "Today at 2.30p? How far are you driving?"

Yeah that's what I was expecting but he seems to want to meet in person....don't know what to make of this (aren't those prices WAY too-high? Those are just bougies I lifted this past summer, I said so in the ad, I only quoted him those prices so he'd stop texting me I had no idea that he'd actually continue onward....don't those prices seem at least 2-3x what they should be??

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
When I met the seller of my 1912 water faucet we met at a public place...buying my son's Nissan Xterra...was at sellers home. I was a bit...nervous until I pulled up seeing his car with the door painted K-9 unit. Retired K-9 in yard...felt good. He was a great guy. But, I would be afraid to bring any stranger to my home. Meet at a public location. Where lots of foot traffic.

Rose Mary

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
That's my gut feeling, I just replied that I'd do it and asked him when's a good time & place to meet-up - he responded 'what good time for u on week fay' (literal transcription of the reply I just received) Just replied "Today at 2.30p? How far are you driving?"

Yeah that's what I was expecting but he seems to want to meet in person....don't know what to make of this (aren't those prices WAY too-high? Those are just bougies I lifted this past summer, I said so in the ad, I only quoted him those prices so he'd stop texting me I had no idea that he'd actually continue onward....don't those prices seem at least 2-3x what they should be??

good prices are what someone is willing to pay for something, that you are willing to accept! I make spelling mistakes all the time!

SU2

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Craigslist to me means "Starbucks parking lot".
Yeah there's zero chance I'd let a stranger into my garden! I don't drive so just getting the trees to the local pizzeria (that's my go-to for craigslist meetups!) is going to have me paying a friend to drive me & the trees!

He said to let him know a weekday time that was good, I said today 2.30p, he said he's working so I asked him when's good for him, just got reply "Monday early morning".....gah this sucks, my gut feeling is this is at least 3/4 likely to be a scam, guess I'll end up waiting til mon and finding out..

good prices are what someone is willing to pay for something, that you are willing to accept!
lol, yes I get that, but what I really was asking was what would **normal, fair, "market"** prices be? Surely those prices sound VERY high to you guys right?

Rose Mary

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Yeah there's zero chance I'd let a stranger into my garden! I don't drive so just getting the trees to the local pizzeria (that's my go-to for craigslist meetups!) is going to have me paying a friend to drive me & the trees!

He said to let him know a weekday time that was good, I said today 2.30p, he said he's working so I asked him when's good for him, just got reply "Monday early morning".....gah this sucks, my gut feeling is this is at least 3/4 likely to be a scam, guess I'll end up waiting til mon and finding out..

lol, yes I get that, but what I really was asking was what would **normal, fair, "market"** prices be? Surely those prices sound VERY high to you guys right?

I live in Oregon so have no idea on worth but lots of trunk there. Dont offer for less if the buyer is willing lol!

Reactions: SU2

SU2

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I live in Oregon so have no idea on worth but lots of trunk there. Dont offer for less if the buyer is willing lol!

Oh I def wouldn't offer for less, I'm really unhappy with the idea of selling them at all but I'm not well-off financially and have someone dependent on me financially, I simply couldn't say no to this deal if it's legit, would be far too selfish to do it in my position :/ The twin-trunk is my favorite tree, am hoping it's a scam but if it's not I'd have to sell :(

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
If it feel fishy IT IS FISHY. Trust your instincts. Don't rationalize on the money. This guy sounds like a scam to me. Craigslist is notorious for a lot of questionable shit, including murder. I wouldn't put yourself in a position having to try to figure out what the guy is up to in person. Take a pass. You're probably NOT going to see the money anyway.

If you read between the lines, this guy is about meeting up with you for some reason and not the trees. You've thrown up considerable pricing barriers, which he has ignored in order to line up a meeting, insists on text from a burner or spoofed phone. What makes you think he's legit?

Last edited:

SU2

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Firstly let me say thank you a TON for putting words to what I was feeling, I think it's just the "WTF angle could there possibly be if he's OK for meeting in-person and paying in-cash?", the fact that I simply cannot find a reason is what's kept me entertaining this for as long as I have! If I could just think of some plausible angle I'd be comfortable passing but it's my inability to do so that has me still thinking there's a chance....but you're right as rain here I think!

If it feel fishy IT IS FISHY.
99% of the time, absolutely - but not always! Of course, risking anything on 1% is a dumb move!!

Trust your instincts. Don't rationalize on the money. This guy sounds like a scam to me. Craigslist is notorious for a lot of questionable shit, including murder. I wouldn't put yourself in a position having to try to figure out what the guy is up to in person. Take a pass. You're probably NOT going to see the money anyway.
It sounds like a scam to me too, I think my "feeling invincible" (my friend would've been driving me and have had a handgun) is why I'm (was) entertaining this so long, you're right though (am now just thinking of how to get out of this w/o him doing something to my phone#, like harassment stuff, I'd really rather not have to change #'s :p )

If you read between the lines, this guy is about meeting up with you for some reason and not the trees. You've thrown up considerable pricing barriers, which he has ignored in order to line up a meeting, insists on text from a burner or spoofed phone. What makes you think he's legit?
Nothing, in fact it's about as non-legit as possible but I just cannot figure out what scam/angle he could possibly be playing, it's driving me nuts!! Robbing me for a bonsai tree that he'd re-sell, robbing me to get a bonsai for himself? The most-likely bad intentions I can fathom are about as likely as him just being some oddball with lots of $$, not a common thing but certainly a thing, and that seems more plausible than any scam/ill-intent scenario I can think of!!

You're right though and I'm NOT going to meet him, am trying to think of how to call it off w/o him being angry (to protect my phone#!), would love suggestions if anyone's got something better than my best so far: "So I was re-arranging my nursery and I put your specimen on a little holding table, I didn't think of the weight and the table collapsed and the trees all fell out of their containers, they were bare-rooted in the sun for over an hour before I went outside and found them like that"

Anything more plausible than that ^ would be appreciated if someone's got a good line! I'm a crappy liar lol, that's the best I can come up w/ here, want him to think the trees are gone w/o it being my fault/intentional..

Thanks rockm, as usual your posts are just golden :D

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I dont' think robbery is on his mind, more likely he's going to try and sell you something. Robbery, of course, is never out of the question.

As for going to a meeting like this with a handgun? well, if you're going to do that why bother at all. You've got obvious severe reservations if you're considering that.

Best response is "got a better offer. Trees are sold!" and leave it at that. Doesn't matter if he thinks your lying. HE'S lying. If he persists, don't respond.

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
including murder.
That happened to a local guy. He took the car he was trying to sell to the buyers work parking lot. The "supposed" buyer, took the car for a test drive, killed the seller, and stole his car. Even if you need the $, I would stay away. Not saying the guy is dangerous, but just sounds suspicious.

Top Bottom