I rooted weeping willow from a branch

ionca

Seed
Reaction score
What is the timeline for growing this into bonsai?

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Welcome to Crazy!

Is it in water?
Earth?
Substrate?

Size? Length?.......girth?

Bark?

Does it have a section of rotted wood with termites?

Did you name it Ned?
Trees named Ned take longer!

Pussy? Weeping? Black?

Will you keep it inside?

Or....

A pic!

Sorce

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
I have several rooted in water...again.
Last time I tried to transfer them to a substrate, they promptly died....and that is apparently par for the course.
This year....I dunno....I'll probably just leave them in water forever.....since they seem to like it so much....
If I transfer them, I'll do it in early spring, and see how it goes.

Last edited:

Giga

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
They root within a week, but willow are one species I would not turn to bonsai. I have tried a few times in the past and they are just a chaotic short lived species. I'm all about local and difficult species but this is one I pump the breaks on. It can be done but there are so many other species that its best just to leave them alone. Good luck though if you decide to go for it.

RKatzin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I've played with willows for some time now. I have given up on the standard Weeping Willow though I still have a few Corkscrew Willow just because I love them.
I have had good fun with the Dwarf Purple Willow, Salix purpura nana and the Dwarf Arctic Willow, Salix polaris. These are much better trees to work with.
I find that cuttings take fine planting right into soil. I'll put them in water to keep them a few days until I get time to plant them. At some point you just have to start throwing the trims away or your bench won't have room for anything else. I always have a five gallon bucket full of willow trims. The water is good for watering in new transplants.

Top Bottom