KleinM

Sapling
Reaction score
Hi all!

I started a YouTube channel in September called Klein Bonsai. I decided to make YouTube videos for three reasons. One: To document my trees and see their progress as they (and myself) grow in the coming years and 2: All the bonsai YouTube channels are from the Northern hemisphere and it is hard to relate sometimes and know what to do and not to do especially with our mild Winters. Three: There is almost no information on a lot of indigenous trees and if they'll make good bonsai or not and the only way to get this information is through word-of-mouth from people who tried and failed.

Everything I know of bonsai I've learned on the internet and YouTube, so I thought that maybe I could help encourage someone to start bonsai that might be intimidated by seeing all these big old established trees.

I am by no means a professional, but if you would like to check it out (don't mind my shameless plug 😜): https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxv8t8FhZ6LnneoaWoJJTuQ

Any feedback is also welcomed 😄

KleinM

Sapling
Reaction score
Thanks. I was told that is a Japanese Maple when I bought it...but now that I take a closer look at the leaves, they are very similar to the Chinese Maple seedlings that I have. And I know that those are Chinese Maples, because I took the seeds from the big tree in the yard. Funny thing is, the leaves from the seedlings and the mother tree looks different. The leaves on the mother tree are smooth and look like a duck's foot 😅

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Thanks. I was told that is a Japanese Maple when I bought it...but now that I take a closer look at the leaves, they are very similar to the Chinese Maple seedlings that I have. And I know that those are Chinese Maples, because I took the seeds from the big tree in the yard. Funny thing is, the leaves from the seedlings and the mother tree looks different. The leaves on the mother tree are smooth and look like a duck's foot 😅
Typical for maple seeds to not be similar to the mother plant.
That's why specific cultivars are propagated with cuttings and/or grafting.
Good luck with the YT vids.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I try to make SoHem a thing.

The more you'se use it the clearer it becomes.

SoHem nation represent represent!

#SoHem on the videos!

Sorce

SWfloirda

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
I found your channel and subscribed a few weeks ago. I started mine back in May. It is a lot of work to keep up with. The hardest part for me is having to listen to my own voice when I edit.

Keep it up good luck.

KleinM

Sapling
Reaction score
I try to make SoHem a thing.

The more you'se use it the clearer it becomes.

SoHem nation represent represent!

#SoHem on the videos!

Sorce

I had to Google what SoHem means 🤣

I found your channel and subscribed a few weeks ago. I started mine back in May. It is a lot of work to keep up with. The hardest part for me is having to listen to my own voice when I edit.

Keep it up good luck.

Yeah, it is weird listening to myself while editing, but I am used to it now. I'm more critical on myself with my physical appearance and hand movements/gestures and things that I do. Making videos, you find out really quickly all the weird habits that you have 🤣. Even though I'm so critical on myself, I've noticed that I am a lot more confident in speaking in general just from having a couple of videos publicly viewable :cool:

YouTube does not show all the names of subscribers, what is your channel name?

SWfloirda

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
I had to Google what SoHem means 🤣

Yeah, it is weird listening to myself while editing, but I am used to it now. I'm more critical on myself with my physical appearance and hand movements/gestures and things that I do. Making videos, you find out really quickly all the weird habits that you have 🤣. Even though I'm so critical on myself, I've noticed that I am a lot more confident in speaking in general just from having a couple of videos publicly viewable :cool:

YouTube does not show all the names of subscribers, what is your channel name?
Tropical Bonsai is my channel.

I teach high school math. Comfortable speaking to the kids. I can teach and make them laugh at the same time. I announce our football team's home games. But for some reason when I am alone in the room with nothing but a plant and a camera I get stage fright. I feel like I come off very boring even thought I don't want to do anything formal, just having fun with trees and sharing progress.

KleinM

Sapling
Reaction score
Tropical Bonsai is my channel.

Oh awesome! I've seen your videos before. I like the root over rock ficuses you have. I can imagine that it is a different feel from a live audience to a camera that does not show any reaction. I got stage fright or camera shy in the beginning but it does become easier with every video.

Top Bottom