I stuck it to the (wo)man!

plant_dr

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have been fighting to get custody of my daughter for nearly her entire life and she turned 12 a few months ago. The only person I ever mentioned it to was @JudyB about five years ago very briefly. I never brought it up because every step of the way was just filled with frustration, difficulty and bad news, obstacles, red tape, etc. It was very depressing and I didn't feel like burdening everyone with that kind of crap all the time.

While I'm legally obligated to not discuss any specific details of my case to anyone yet I think I can safely say that I dont *need* to keep fighting for custody anymore. This has definitely been a difficult road and an uphill battle the whole way. The odds are not the greatest for men in custody battles, but I always felt it would be the best for my daughter and I just couldn't give up on her. I knew it was the right thing to do and just had to keep faith that things would work out someday.

I have been through many court hearings, multiple mediations, a few different lawyers and more headaches than I can count to get to this point, so I am very relieved that all that is finally over. I know there will stil be some arguing and debates and stuff to come in the future but at least I won't be at her mercy and wont' feel as powerless anymore.

I'll be able to give more details in a few weeks, after everything is finalized and signed by the judge. Until then I'm supposed to be tight lipped about it.

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Many many congrats! Now comes her teenage years when the little angel turns into a hormonal nightmare. Get a firm grip and make sure she knows who's the boss all the way. Best wishes for the future for both of you;). The ex can go where the devil reigns:mad:!

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I have been fighting to get custody of my daughter for nearly her entire life and she turned 12 a few months ago. The only person I ever mentioned it to was @JudyB about five years ago very briefly. I never brought it up because every step of the way was just filled with frustration, difficulty and bad news, obstacles, red tape, etc. It was very depressing and I didn't feel like burdening everyone with that kind of crap all the time.

While I'm legally obligated to not discuss any specific details of my case to anyone yet I think I can safely say that I dont *need* to keep fighting for custody anymore. This has definitely been a difficult road and an uphill battle the whole way. The odds are not the greatest for men in custody battles, but I always felt it would be the best for my daughter and I just couldn't give up on her. I knew it was the right thing to do and just had to keep faith that things would work out someday.

I have been through many court hearings, multiple mediations, a few different lawyers and more headaches than I can count to get to this point, so I am very relieved that all that is finally over. I know there will stil be some arguing and debates and stuff to come in the future but at least I won't be at her mercy and wont' feel as powerless anymore.

I'll be able to give more details in a few weeks, after everything is finalized and signed by the judge. Until then I'm supposed to be tight lipped about it.
Long roads are hard but sometimes necessary. I'm glad you stuck with it, some get discouraged and give up. Looking forward to the day when this is behind you all the way!

Nanuk

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Good luck, I hope it works out for you.

I took my daughter away from her mom when she was six.
I raised her by myself till the day she got married.
She was a daddies girl anyway.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Tough Path to stay On.

Righteous!

Sorce

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
We humans compromises on everything except other humans. How pity.
Certain things cannot be compromised. I don't know plant_dr. I don't know the circumstances so I can't say whether the fight is just. However, on the surface, I see a man trying hard through legal and civil means to do what he sees as the right thing for his daughter. I can't fault that. Would that every man do the same for each of their children.

BTW, I've seen compromises made on humans. They are rarely good things.

Ali Raza

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
@Cajunrider come on man don't give up easily on things. If other person don't compromise, then i think it is our turn. I know you are going from pretty hard time, but it is the hard time in which we know our capabilities. I hope you reunite with your daughter. There will be a way sooner or later it is waiting for you out there. When we think about children, then life is nothing but compromise. I will be happy to help you out.

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
@Cajunrider come on man don't give up easily on things. If other person don't compromise, then i think it is our turn. I know you are going from pretty hard time, but it is the hard time in which we know our capabilities. I hope you reunite with your daughter. There will be a way sooner or later it is waiting for you out there. When we think about children, then life is nothing but compromise. I will be happy to help you out.
It isn't me. It's Plant_dr. If I have to guess, he's the parent that comes away with heartache with every parental visit. Soon he will have his child under his care so his daughter can be better taken care of. I don't know about you but when it comes to the well being of my children, good parents will do their best and tend not to want to compromise at all. Based on the effort plant_dr has shown, he never gave up and will soon succeed.

amcoffeegirl

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
My daughters Dad and I had joint custody and he hardly ever saw her. It was truly his loss. She loves him dearly and cuts him a ton of slack. She never gives me any breaks. Lol

Good luck with everything. Kids are hard. Lol

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Try to maintain a positive attitude!! Love will find a way!

...and, although my heart is in your corner, I am going to move this to the Tea House.

bwaynef

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
My oldest (daughter) turned 12 a few months ago. Its been a fun time seeing who she's becoming. I couldn't be more proud. I'm thankful that I never had to fight to be in her life. My two youngest didn't have anyone to fight for them for several years. I think knowing you've got a corner to retreat to with people on your side makes a big difference.

Love her well. Fight for her. And when she won't hold your hand walking through a parking lot because she's 12 now and not a baby anymore, tell her you're going to stop where you are and start singing until she holds your hand. It won't take but a time or two for her to get the picture. #askmehowiknow #pardonthehashtag

Ali Raza

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
@plant
It isn't me. It's Plant_dr. If I have to guess, he's the parent that comes away with heartache with every parental visit. Soon he will have his child under his care so his daughter can be better taken care of. I don't know about you but when it comes to the well being of my children, good parents will do their best and tend not to want to compromise at all. Based on the effort plant_dr has shown, he never gave up and will soon succeed.
My apology for the confusion.

Top Bottom