I suppose this Bougie deserves its own thread.

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Ya know, photography really just started in the last few years with decent shots with phones. I don't have many pictures going back beyond 2014 because carrying a camera was a pain, and I didn't have software to organize histories as I do now. I bought this from a nursery in FL that was closed (for good) that I stopped by coincidentally when the owner was there one day. He had sold the corner to a new business, but I told him I was new to bonsai and this was my first trip to FL as a hunting expedition and he took pity on me and sold me some stuff in really rough condition. This was probably 2001 or so. In retrospect, this is the guy and place we all dream about stumbling on, but I was too green to know and didn't have much of a budget at the time. Anyway, He had a Huisache (Acacia farnesiana) about 7 ft tall and this Bougainvillea 'Masquerade'. I still have both. This pic is from 2016.
Not very clear because it's a small part of a bigger shot. It blooms like Japanese Quince that has bi-colored flowers, peach, peach and white, and mostly white, all evolving to pink. The foliage varies from nearly all green thru nearly all white. It's not a real pretty green and the white is speckled green on some leaves, but is pretty if you see it in full sun when the white appears more light gold. I think it was a very early variegated Bougie, now superseded.
20160515_094210 (1) a.JPG
Also 2014.
Bougainvillea Masquarade  FMG 2014.jpg
It's a lot more shapely now, but won't be fully foliated for another two months. Thanks for admiring.

Lou T

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Ya know, photography really just started in the last few years with decent shots with phones. I don't have many pictures going back beyond 2014 because carrying a camera was a pain, and I didn't have software to organize histories as I do now. I bought this from a nursery in FL that was closed (for good) that I stopped by coincidentally when the owner was there one day. He had sold the corner to a new business, but I told him I was new to bonsai and this was my first trip to FL as a hunting expedition and he took pity on me and sold me some stuff in really rough condition. This was probably 2001 or so. In retrospect, this is the guy and place we all dream about stumbling on, but I was too green to know and didn't have much of a budget at the time. Anyway, He had a Huisache (Acacia farnesiana) about 7 ft tall and this Bougainvillea 'Masquerade'. I still have both. This pic is from 2016.
Not very clear because it's a small part of a bigger shot. It blooms like Japanese Quince that has bi-colored flowers, peach, peach and white, and mostly white, all evolving to pink. The foliage varies from nearly all green thru nearly all white. It's not a real pretty green and the white is speckled green on some leaves, but is pretty if you see it in full sun when the white appears more light gold. I think it was a very early variegated Bougie, now superseded.
View attachment 229136
Also 2014.
View attachment 229138
It's a lot more shapely now, but won't be fully foliated for another two months. Thanks for admiring.

Interesting tree. Thank you for sharing.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Second Iteration Styled Today

View attachment 290037

Is that a new front?
It was worse in the above picture, but I still wanna see more pot, like all the way to touching your arm here. Long.

Wait...Your?

I never imagined sockunicorn with a beard!
Lol!

Beauty. The Bougie not the beard....but the beard is good too!

Sorce

SockUnicorn

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
Is that a new front?
It was worse in the above picture, but I still wanna see more pot, like all the way to touching your arm here. Long.

Wait...Your?

I never imagined sockunicorn with a beard!
Lol!

Beauty. The Bougie not the beard....but the beard is good too!

Sorce
It is a new front! But I obviously didn't adjust the pot at all.

The tree is also huge so there is somewhat of a perspective issue going on. Might put it in something unique though!

SockUnicorn

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
Somewhat!

I been kicking around building some larger slabs.... concrete..... Resin....?

This would look nice in something that..... doesn't break the bank!

Sorce
Yes exactly what I was thinking. Something natural looking.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Yes exactly what I was thinking. Something natural looking.

Yeah but as soon as I read that I realized I don't know what that is for a Bougie at all!

🤔

Sorce

SockUnicorn

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
Yeah but as soon as I read that I realized I don't know what that is for a Bougie at all!

🤔

Sorce

Haha to be honest it doesn't matter. There's a difference between natural looking, and the "natural environment" of a bougie.

This is hardly a natural looking tree so there's room to be creative.

SockUnicorn

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
That's quite a commitment. At least if you were to lose the tree, you'd still have the tattoo to remember it by!

This is symbolic of my bonsai journey as a whole. As a Bougainvillea its very possible i lose it at some point, but it's been wonderful so far and i love having it in the garden.

Top Bottom