I.....think.... I see a new tree....????

Mike Corazzi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
JBP. Got it free as a sorta "prize" ;) on a bonsai bus trip.
It had a long long long vertical run that I ...tried... to use. Doubting wisdom of the effort. Wrapped in raffia and squooshed it down.

Now.. looking at it tonight... I think I see a new plan.

1. is how it sits now.
2, is some thoughts and wonders. The "B" in #2 is what I'm thinking of getting rid of.
3. The yellow is a potential new line. Maybe tilt in a new rectangular or square pot. Right behind the fork in the yellow line is a rear branch that is healthy but small. Doesn't show well in pic.

Any thoughts? Different virts?

1.JPG2.jpg3.jpg

Thanks for suggestions. :)

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
I think both of your options have merit. For many years when I saw 2 or more good options I would procrastinate and use that as an excuse not to do anything. At last I realised that not making a decision is the fastest way to not get a good bonsai. Now when I have 2 or more options and I can't decide which is better I know that means all are equally good so it does not matter which option to follow. If you have trouble making decision toss a coin but just get on with making a good bonsai.
Workshop leaders make it seem easy and come to a quick decision how to style your tree. They also see all the good possibilities but know a decision needs to be made + they have no real investment in your tree so it does not worry them which option is chosen.
Bending the trunk to reduce the bare area has worked. Those bends look good and should look better as the trunk thickens.
In the red lines tree the 2 main branches are quite close together but there is not much else on the right if that one is removed. Consider wiring the right branch up a little initially then back down. I know many believe that all pine branches must angle down from the trunk but that's not the only way pines grow. Occasional random movement can bring some life to an otherwise boring tree and I think something like that could work with this one.
Yellow lines tree gives a smaller bonsai so if you are into small trees that would probably be the preferred option.

Mike Corazzi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Going to workshop this morning. Be interesting to see if they see what I see. :)

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The worst thing that can be done to any piece of material intended for bonsai is to prune it into a "wye". By keeping the yellow limbs and removing the white, you will do just that.

I think with the application of wire and bending there is a great tree in the configuration as you received it. This is where we get to see your skills....

...also, the wire in your "A" "B" scenario is doing nothing. It is not large enough to do the job....or you need copper.

Mike Corazzi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Chop-chop.
Removed wire and raffia. As I thought, there was a big reverse taper knot under the wrap. Above the top of the (maybe temporary) jin.
I think I remember that particular bend as going, "creeeaaaacckkkk" when I was "working" 😄 it.
Anyhow, I messed with it and tried various bends with the remainder and ended up scrunching the right limb up, forward and around.
I'll lean it in new pot when I repot. Also change pot. The lean in the pic is ..well...approximate. Won't know til I see it combed out and ready to wire into new pot.

Now to wait and see what grows out of it. More bends are in its future, I'm sure.

after chop.JPG

Just peeking around the top (looking like an unsupported tuft) is an unwired back branch that should get more strength now that it is so much higher.

Mike Corazzi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
For no damn reason other than to possibly shoot my entire bonsai group, I'm adding some pix to see if ....anyone.... other than the group sees a single redeeming aspect of this tree.
The ....group.. was enthusiastic about the bending and chopping. The "sensei" was ecstatic but then maybe it was only to humor me and get me to holster my pistol.
I..... like .... the damn thing. I know... so what? There's no way to gild a lily or put lipstick on a pig.

Soooooooooooo.....for your indulgence, I hereby present some other views which (although I may disregard all negative comments) could save this twig from the chipper.

Waaahhhhh..... 😢

Attachments

• big.JPG
    big.JPG
    216.3 KB · Views: 43
  • side.JPG
    side.JPG
    120 KB · Views: 37
  • top.JPG
    top.JPG
    129.4 KB · Views: 34
  • twist.JPG
    twist.JPG
    184.2 KB · Views: 36

Colorado

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Oh my goodness. I think you should have listened to smoke. I would have jinned the bottom two branches and kept the top as a bunjin-ish style, and carved the reverse taper knot if necessary.

Too late! 😂

Tieball

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Ha! ....when I looked at the small photos I thought that was your thumb holding the potted tree up. Mighty fine work on such a small tree I began thinking.

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Currently you have 2 nearly equal branches growing in opposite directions. Not something our brains like to see which is probably why you are so discouraged by the result. For something to look attractive we usually need some sort of flow rather than competing directions.
If you are going to go with both those branches I think one needs to become the new trunk and it looks like the right branch will flow better with the existing lower trunk.
Maybe something like this? Right branch now follows the blue line.
jbp 2 .JPG
You need to be a little cautious when bending recently bent branches. Every time we bend we damage the cells. Bending one way then another can kill a branh so it might be prudent to wait for a few months before moving that branch in the opposite direction like that.

The other option which you talked about before the half hearted amputation was cascade or semi cascade. Both need a single strong direction rather than splitting both ways. To work toward cascade I think you need to complete the task and remove the competing right branch.
Cascade does not really need an apex but that can look good. You have that small back branch to make a (small) apex if you want it but the main trunk now flows well down the left side.
jbp 1 .JPG

There's a lot of growing to do before this tree reaches show status but while there's life there's hope.

Top Bottom