I think I want to go on a collecting trip.

thinwaifer

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
There's a few repotting workshops and similar coming up in my area, and since my two purchased and one workshop tree are all well established and doing quite nicely (if I do say so myself) I was thinking about collecting something to work on.

I live in the 7a around Washington DC. There's a nice walking path next to my apartment complex where a big tornado went through in 2000 or so, so there's a lot of new growth.

Any advice for a first time collector wanting to make a go of it?

edprocoat

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Yes, get permission to collect first. Then research the species you are considering to see if it would be viable for you to keep as Bonsai.

ed

Bunjeh

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Like ed said; FIrst things first. Find out who owns the land and get permission. Once achieved,..have at it. But, remember that if you cannot carry it by yourself, its landscaping not bonsai.

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Are you a member of a local club? Many clubs sponsor club digs and handle the permissions and all for you. It also allows you to collect with people who do it regularly in your area and get the wisdom of their experience.

Scott

thinwaifer

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I am a member of a local club, but haven't made it to a meeting yet. I will be attending the ABS Symposium in June since I'm local, which I am looking forward to.

Thanks for the suggestions, good to have a place to start!

jk_lewis

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
Be choosey. It is unlikely that "new growth" will provide you with anything that's worth the effort of digging it up. So look hard. Try tyo see the bonsai it will make in 5 or 10 years. Choose based on the trunk and the base.

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Seriously, know your trees. You don't want to collect a tree that may not be bonsai suitable. Learn or read up on digging,transplanting different species. Not all are the same. Be prepared for the tree when you get it home Build a box or have a container ready for the tree. Soil also. You don't want the tree you just spent time and sweat on to dry out and die while it waits for you to prepare something. Learn After care for the species in question.
Collecting,digging trees up for bonsai sounds easy and cool but it's not as easy as it seems. Kind of hard unless a person knows how to go about it. There may be deaths. Until you get a few under your belt.
Good luck. Good digging.

D

Deleted member 17828

Trying your luck collecting unwanted landscape trees or shrubs could be an easy way to practice collecting trees. Like Mike said, get a few under your belt.
Good luck!

Cypress187

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
For needle tree's take as much roots and green with u (and some native soil).

Top Bottom