I think I'm in trouble

AdamChris

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
First timer here, I'm sure you get that a lot but I'm desperately seeking advice from the seasoned! Bought this little guy from Costa Farms out of Florida and it was beautiful when received but now it's turning brown. It's outside, morning sun afternoon shade. I've repotted it using the typical bonsai mix and water as needed. Haven't used fertilizer yet but just ordered some. Any advice on what I'm doing wrong and/or how to repair it?

Attachments

• 20220616_173626.jpg
    20220616_173626.jpg
    316.6 KB · Views: 93
  • 20220616_173616.jpg
    20220616_173616.jpg
    286.2 KB · Views: 93
  • 20220616_173606.jpg
    20220616_173606.jpg
    256.1 KB · Views: 95

Srt8madness

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
When did you repot it?? Did you cut the roots or remove all the soil? It's looking on its way out :( I'm not super bonsai experienced but I've killed a few juniper.

Bright side, if it dies, you have the pot, and can get a new juni from HD/Lowes for $10.98. I'd wait to put a new one in the pot though.

AdamChris

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I repotted almost immediately because the soil was regular heavy soil. Same pot though. I did not cut the roots but did remove all the soil.

AdamChris

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
They don't like that. Deciduous trees like maples can handle total bare root at the right time but junipers and conifers like to go slow. They want some of the familiar with the new soil.
I'm learning. It was just so compacted and the soil around it was moist but right around the roots were dry so I thought water wasn't getting to them.

Scorpius

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I'm learning. It was just so compacted and the soil around it was moist but right around the roots were dry so I thought water wasn't getting to them.
Bare rooting any evergreen is usually a 100% death sentence. I've yet to beat the odds myself.

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Welcome Aboard BNut!

Sorry to see your first foray into bonsai ended up like this…. but this is one of the hard lessons. New folks, including myself when I started want to “do something”. Usually that ends up looking like repotting (with incorrect technique) ’because the media looks bad”. Or pruning and wiring a tree within an inch of its life to make it look like a bonsai. Or doing the right thing at the wrong time because of urgency to do something.

Your tree looks like it’s on its last legs as @Mike Westervelt mentioned. But keep watering (just keep the soil moistened as the roots are damaged) and play it out until the end….. This is knowledge can may be useful in the future.

I’ve successfully barerooted both younger conifers, including junipers, but not well established trees. However many yamadori collectors can attest this can be done, especially with junipers….with proper care and a good bit of luck.

Please don’t get discouraged. Get a new juniper and keep this one alive 😉

Welcome Aboard once again!

Cheers
DSD sends

AdamChris

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Welcome Aboard BNut!

Sorry to see your first foray into bonsai ended up like this…. but this is one of the hard lessons. New folks, including myself when I started want to “do something”. Usually that ends up looking like repotting (with incorrect technique) ’because the media looks bad”. Or pruning and wiring a tree within an inch of its life to make it look like a bonsai. Or doing the right thing at the wrong time because of urgency to do something.

Your tree looks like it’s on its last legs as @Mike Westervelt mentioned. But keep watering (just keep the soil moistened as the roots are damaged) and play it out until the end….. This is knowledge can may be useful in the future.

I’ve successfully barerooted both younger conifers, including junipers, but not well established trees. However many yamadori collectors can attest this can be done, especially with junipers….with proper care and a good bit of luck.

Please don’t get discouraged. Get a new juniper and keep this one alive 😉

Welcome Aboard once again!

Cheers
DSD sends
I appreciate that and thank you so much for your positivity! Looking forward to learning a lot from here, already have.

BonjourBonsai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Don't give up though. Home Depot end of season sales are right around the corner. If you can't wait for them, just go get one more. Search for an interesting trunk. Stay invested!

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Water More!

Welcome to Crazy!

I doubt they've been individually watering these plants at Costa Farms.
Errday soak fest I reckon.

Sorce

Top Bottom