I think my pink powderpuff died.

Marksanders21

Seedling
Reaction score
Last week I left for vacation for 5 days and when I got back my pink powderpuff looked like this. I don't know what I did. I fertilized it and watered it before I left and the soil usually retains moisture for at least a few days. When I got back it was completely dry. I've since watered it but nothing has changed. The leaves didn't even drop. They just died.

I did a scratch test and saw some green in the trunk. Only a tiny bit of green. But I don't know what to do, I think it might be dead anyway since the leaves never turned color and didn't drop. They just shriveled and died. It happened so quickly. It's been cold outside and the pot felt very cold. Maybe the window isn't well insulated enough?

The tree has been pretty healthy up until this point. I've had it on this windowsill for 5 months now. Obviously, during the day the window is open. I also have it under grow lights for 12-16 hours a day.

Any thoughts? Is it dead?

Attachments

• IMG-3131.JPG
    IMG-3131.JPG
    201.5 KB · Views: 48

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Please add location to profile. 5 days no H2O doubtless the problem. Living things generally need care or will become dead things. Suspicion is recovery may be possible but indoors is not good place for outdoor plant.🤨 Do not over water. just keep damp.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Any chance of recovery would be encouraged by a hard cut back.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
You know what they say about Pink Powderpuffs......

Yankee Fans.

Sorce

Marksanders21

Seedling
Reaction score
Please add location to profile. 5 days no H2O doubtless the problem. Living things generally need care or will become dead things. Suspicion is recovery may be possible but indoors is not good place for outdoor plant.🤨 Do not over water. just keep damp.
Updated. I'm in Brooklyn NY.

@Clicio I just checked under the bark again with the scratch test. It's still green...

Also, it's a Calliandra Brevipes. If that makes a difference to anyone.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Cut it back hard and keep it warm under bright light.

Clicio

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11a
Updated. I'm in Brooklyn NY.

@Clicio I just checked under the bark again with the scratch test. It's still green...

Also, it's a Calliandra Brevipes. If that makes a difference to anyone.
Well, I might be wrong of course, so let's be hopeful. Yes, I see it's a Brevipes (also called Selloi - they're the same).
Natives from South America, there are quite a few calliandras besides the Brevipes. I've got an Espinosa, a Twedii, a Surinamensis and a white Selloi.
But...
As said before, I have killed a few, always a watering issue.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have one of the larger ones grown in Florida. It grows like a weed but I nearly killed it when it dried out. I soaked it and cut it back and it did weel. A dwarf one I havbe is hopeless.

Katie0317

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9B
This was due to lack of water as others have pointed out. Even two days without water with intense sun or grow lights will do it. Take off all the dead leaves and try soaking it and then water it correctly and see what happens. I don't think it's quite dead. I'd probably wait on the cut back but I'd give it water daily and maybe cut back on the grow light exposure and see what you get. You may have to cut back but I do think it may well come back.

Top Bottom