"I thought he would never leave!"

Jay Nolen

Seed
Reaction score
It is with great sadness that I announce that Behr Appleby has died. He passed away yesterday. His wife called me this evening to let me know. She did not go into details but did say Behr's health had deteriorated quickly.

Rest in Peace my dear, dear friend.

Attachments

• 100_3568.jpg
    100_3568.jpg
    21.3 KB · Views: 137
Reaction score
USDA Zone
As stated on another forum, Behr (Gramps) was a much liked and respected editor at AoB. Besides being active in the development of the AoB Awards, he was always working behind the scenes as an editor for many profiles, galleries, and articles there. His activity dropped dramatically there and on other forums some months ago, a few emails here and there, and now this.....

He will be greatly missed.

Last edited:

Just Duane

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Prayers for his family

I didn't know him, but sounds like he was a great man. A silent prayer for his family. I can only imagine what heavens bonsais look like, but i'm sure Mr. Appleby is loving it:)

Ashbarns

Mame
Reaction score
We never met but Behr and I ruled Bonsai Talk Chat room from early 2005 until he left for Kyle. We got on like brothers and had many laughs together. Grampz will be missed by many all over our world especially his family. Go out and have a smoke and check out your pinus my dear friend.

Ash :D

Rick Moquin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Every time I thing of Gramps it is this landscape that comes to mind. He had many bonsais but this is the one I remember / will remember him by.

When participating Gramps always held the most inspiring civility I have ever seen on the forums, always courteous. You will be sorely missed Mr Behr an icon to be emulate. God speed...

Attachments

• Grampz_Rosemary.jpg
    Grampz_Rosemary.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 88
Reaction score
USDA Zone
When I saw the heading and scrolled over to see the preview of the text, my heart just sank. I admired Behr for his quick wit, artistic ability, and his care and concern to always see the best and be as kind as he could. I learned a great deal from Grampz. We'll not soon see his like again.

Chris

agraham

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I can't say enough about Behr's contribution to my bonsai life....to my life. He was a great friend and an inspiration.

Those of us that knew him will miss him.Those of you who didn't, missed out on knowing a true character..

It's a sad,sad day....God bless you, Mr. Behr.

JasonG

Chumono
Reaction score
How sad. Behr and I emailed quite a bit for a while on certain techniques, bouncing ideas off eachother, etc.... he was an excellent man and very dedicated to his hobby. He will be missed...my thoughts go out to his family.

Godspeed Grampz!

TimD

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
My heart goes out to the family for their loss.
A real quality guy. We were blessed to have had him in the Bonsai community.

FlyBri

Seedling
Reaction score
I never met Mr Grampz in person, but I would consider him to be one of my very best Bonsai friends. As the elder statesman of the bonsaiTALK "Chat Babies", he entertained, enlightened and informed a younger generation of Bonsai practitioners in a truly unique and provocative fashion. His no-nonsense approach to Bonsai and his ability to see beyond the rules were echoed in every word he typed, and I like to think that he 'walked the walk' in his day-to-day life. His wit, talent, passion and generosity were a rare commodity in the virtual realm, and I consider myself very fortunate to have shared even the briefest time with him.

Mr Grampz: I'll miss you more than you can imagine. I'll be thinking about you every time I read philosophical graffiti on the men's room wall. Wherever you are, give 'em hell you old fart!

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Wow. You don't see someone around the forums for a while, and then you hear this. I am deeply saddened by the loss of one of our members. I never met him in person, but his work speaks for itself. I will miss him :(

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I will miss Grampz

Sad to hear this. He was a true bonsai spirit. Always willing to help with knowledge and time.

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Yamadori told me about Behr on Sunday. I too was speechless. Behr and I had many conversations but none of them were as fun as the conversations we had on music. I spoke to Behr by phone only once and it was really fun. We taked about bluegrass music and his participation in a bluegrass band as a bass player. We compared notes as to our favorites and he had some I had never heard of and likewise for him. While we shared bonsai it was our love of music that gave us a mutual friendship.

He will be missed. Al

Dale Cochoy

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
What a sad note.
I always enjoyed Behr at 'chatting' times.
I'll always remember his picture of him in his 'hula' outfit!:D

Dale

Bill S

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Goodbye Grampz

Sad news indeed, Mr Behr rest in peace our friend, your talant and good nature taught us all, and will be sorely missed.

BonsaiWes

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I didn't know he had passed until today. I spoke with Behr almost on a daily basis for about 5 years over at bonsaiTalks live chat, after his recent move I never had the chance to hear from him again. I had sent a few emails and PM's but never heard back from him. We had so much in common such as bonsai, bass guitar, wood carving and have both called NW Arkansas home.

Top Bottom