I transplanted some maple seedlings

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
These seedlings came from a so-called sugar maple in my from yard.

I dont even know if sugar maple is a real name or not....looks kinda like Acer Rubrum.
The seeds last year fell and sprouted in an old flower pot that was sitting on the side of the house. I pulled them up a couple weeks ago.
I noticed slight differences in the new leaves.....cool!
20190423_183951.jpg20190423_184000.jpg20190423_184008.jpg20190423_184039.jpg20190423_184051.jpg20190423_184020.jpg
20190423_183951.jpg20190423_184000.jpg20190423_184008.jpg20190423_184039.jpg20190423_184051.jpg20190423_184020.jpg

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Acer saccharum is usually called sugar maple because that's the species that yields maple syrup which can also be refined into sugar.
leaves are usually a bit big for good bonsai but I'm sure you'll have fun learning with these freebies.

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
I dont have a plan for these really....

Might put 5 of them through a hole in a tile and try the Ol Smoke trick....credit where credit is due.

They will fuse, then create a new root system above the tile, which will be perfectly flat.
Then the 5 trunk clump would need to stretch out and bulk up for a while until a proper trunk girth is reached.
Then, Chop Chop Chop Chop Chop!

And try some single trees with the rest.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
They do look a bit like red maples. Do you know when these seeds fall on your maple? Red maple seeds in the spring and sugar maple seeds in the fall.

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
They do look a bit like red maples. Do you know when these seeds fall on your maple? Red maple seeds in the spring and sugar maple seeds in the fall.
Spring!
I never knew that! Thanks.
Here are some pics from just now....in the dark.
Its already dropping leaves.
20191010_193231.jpg20191010_193325.jpg

PABonsai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I love sugar maple. I intend to try my hardest to use them as bonsai.

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Well I'm happy!

I've been wanting to work with Acer Rubrum for a while....now I have several!

Now I'm thinking about finding a good branch in the big tree to cut back and air layer in the future.

AlainK

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A

They seem, are said, to be too much of a hassle for little, or no result. The leaves don't reduce well, it's like sycamore trees : a sycamore can be a magnificent tree, yet, you don't see sycamore bonsai.

But if you love sugar maple, I understand. Better plan a king-size bonsai then. I do think it's possible, but for me, it has to take at least twenty years between the seed and the first styling.

It can be done.

The first one to achieve a sugar maple worth being displayed in a local, state, national bonsai show/exhibition deserves a laurel wreath.

Patience and work.

Ah, work, work, work...

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Nice! You got some good growth on them in just one season. Did you ever think about doing a forest setting?

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Nice! You got some good growth on them in just one season. Did you ever think about doing a forest setting?
I have, and I think this species doesn't lend itself to forests, so far.
I think these will be mostly separated and planted in the ground.
Might clump a few together....might leave one or 2 in a pot.
I also have one thats a bit larger in the trunk, in a pond basket.

Forest would have to be massive to look good.
Not to say it cant be done....but I like my trees to be relatively easy to move.

GreatLakesBrad

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Fun curves! Have some sugar maples like this myself for this spring.

In case you haven’t settled on it, strong vote here for those being Red Maple, assuming the pic from the mature tree.

I’ve noticed for sugar and silver maples (at least here in Michigan), the first several sets of leaves do not reveal their mature form (I was sure my volunteer groups of sugar maple from this past year were rubrum for the first 2-3 months of growth before they developed further). Not sure if this applies across the acer spectrum.

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Fun curves! Have some sugar maples like this myself for this spring.

In case you haven’t settled on it, strong vote here for those being Red Maple, assuming the pic from the mature tree.

I’ve noticed for sugar and silver maples (at least here in Michigan), the first several sets of leaves do not reveal their mature form (I was sure my volunteer groups of sugar maple from this past year were rubrum for the first 2-3 months of growth before they developed further). Not sure if this applies across the acer spectrum.
Yes, they are Acer Rubrum.
Thanks!

Top Bottom