I wanna be back for good

akhater

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I've been interested in Bonsai since I was 17 years old o_O but was never really able to "stick" to it

Over the years I bought, and killed, more trees than I care to remember but I like to think it is all part of the "process".

Today, at 42 years of age, I want to give myself one more serious try at bonsai

From the "old days" all I still have is an olive tree that has been in my possession for 5 or 6 years and I have kind of restocked this spring

The purpose of this thread is, well to say hi again to everyone and thank you for all the help I've had over the years here

My weakest point is "design" and wiring so I assume I will be needed lots of help from everyone around

I just hope I won't wake up at 50 and see myself just where I am today

Peace :)

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
I've been interested in Bonsai since I was 17 years old o_O but was never really able to "stick" to it

Over the years I bought, and killed, more trees than I care to remember but I like to think it is all part of the "process".

From the "old days" all I still have is an olive tree that has been in my possession for 5 or 6 years and I have kind of restocked this spring

The purpose of this thread is, well to say hi again to everyone and thank you for all the help I've had over the years here

My weakest point is "design" and wiring so I assume I will be needed lots of help from everyone around

I was introduced to bonsai & penjing at 11 and woke up at 63 and found myself where I am today - a noob.
Take heart. Enjoy. It's all good.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Welcome back.
Am about your age. I started about 10 years ago. Between jobs and family, I have very little time for the hobby... even now. The plan is to have more time when the kids are in grade school... that is about another 3 years. The youngest is only 2 and a half now. What I have now are a bunch of 10 years old seedlings. You need to start planting now if you want to have something to play with in the later years.... even if you don't have much time now. Start today....

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone

I've killed dozens of trees over the years--most in my first ten years, but have had losses in the last ten too. Lost a very nice bald cypress last winter because I didn't act on a suspicion that I should have moved it inside out of way of a cold night...It's part of the deal. Anyone who says they haven't is lying or hasn't learned anything of value.

Don't despair, pick up the side cutters and get going!

AlainK

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Hi Akhater,

You're just half-way to your life, you'll still have 42 years ahead (hopefully) to learn, fail, understand, so don't worry : work. I mean, enjoy what you're doing, don't be discouraged.

I don't know what part of Lebanon you live in, the climate is probably different on the coast, in the Bekaa plain or in the mountains, but there must be local species that will become great bonsai with patience, care and the knowledge you will acquire thoughout the years. Think of the wonderful olive trees bonsai enthusiasts from the Mediterranean area can display on international European shows. Or other local maple species.

Not to mention the majestic tree that is the symbol of your country :

lebanese-flag.jpg

Probably my favourite flag ;)

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Hi Akhater,

You're just half-way to your life, you'll still have 42 years ahead (hopefully) to learn, fail, understand, so don't worry : work. I mean, enjoy what you're doing, don't be discouraged.

I don't know what part of Lebanon you live in, the climate is probably different on the coast, in the Bekaa plain or in the mountains, but there must be local species that will become great bonsai with patience, care and the knowledge you will acquire thoughout the years. Think of the wonderful olive trees bonsai enthusiasts from the Mediterranean area can display on international European shows. Or other local maple species.

View attachment 231883

He ain't half way there yet!!!
I am may be.

akhater

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Ok guys I'm humbled by all your replies and kind comments I honestly am

I was introduced to bonsai & penjing at 11 and woke up at 63 and found myself where I am today - a noob.
Take heart. Enjoy. It's all good.
I don't regret it, I may be far from where I should be but I also learned a lot during these years and this will give me a good push I hope.
Every Spring and fall I see myself pulled toward nature in general and bonsai in Particular I enjoy it so much, Less during summer I must admit :)

Enjoy the journey.
With people like you all around it is hard not to

Welcome back.
Am about your age. I started about 10 years ago. Between jobs and family, I have very little time for the hobby... even now. The plan is to have more time when the kids are in grade school... that is about another 3 years. The youngest is only 2 and a half now. What I have now are a bunch of 10 years old seedlings. You need to start planting now if you want to have something to play with in the later years.... even if you don't have much time now. Start today....
Thank you, I can relate although my kids are about 10 years older than yours :D

300 plants and learn to water
Thank you Anthony, watering isn't really what worries me.... well maybe it is lol

Put in some good work and time and you'll find yourself in a better place.

Welcome.
Cheers and thank you

I've killed dozens of trees over the years--most in my first ten years, but have had losses in the last ten too. Lost a very nice bald cypress last winter because I didn't act on a suspicion that I should have moved it inside out of way of a cold night...It's part of the deal. Anyone who says they haven't is lying or hasn't learned anything of value.

Don't despair, pick up the side cutters and get going!
My only regret is that I killed some trees I'm not likely to be able to get my hands on again. A few years back importing trees and plants was much easier and I was able to gather some cultivars that do no exist in Lebanon. Now things have changed but who knows maybe one day

Hi Akhater,

View attachment 231883

Salut Alain et merci de ton retour, Je te connais deja grace a notre petit forum francais PB.
Back to English I live in at about 700 meters of altitude you seem to know lebanon quite well :)
As far as Cedars are concerned conifers are way to "iffy" for me at this stage, I have one I was working on with @Si Nguyen and left it unattended since. the thing is I don' t know if i can ever get it out of the ground without killing it :)
I am trying to focus on more resilient trees now

AlainK

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
alut Alain et merci de ton retour, Je te connais deja grace a notre petit forum francais PB.
Back to English I live in at about 700 meters of altitude you seem to know lebanon quite well :)
As far as Cedars are concerned conifers are way to "iffy" for me at this stage, I have one I was working on with @Si Nguyen and left it unattended since. the thing is I don' t know if i can ever get it out of the ground without killing it :)
I am trying to focus on more resilient trees now

You know how history made bonds between our peoples, for good of for worse :rolleyes:

A lot of middle-upper-class Lebanese went to France when the situation was so bad in Lebanon that those who were able to flee from sectarian violence just escaped; looking for a safe place for themselves and their kids, like my friend Michel Kairallah did in the 70s. A common expression was "Sorry, it looks like Beyrouth" when friends popped in and the house was a total mess.

Also, at that time, I would have a night of discussion with Palestinian students living in France, with posters of Yasser Arafat and che guevara on the walls. I would then define myself as an anarchist, definitely not a trostyist, or a marxist. But someone concerned by open-mindedness, justice, solidarity.

In a few month's time, I'll be a 65 yr-old pensioner. I hope that my sons will get political, it's their world that is at stake.

On Friday, some of my pupils will march in the streets. I didn't always support the right protests, but this time, i'll march with them :

http://globalclimatestrikeforfutur.wesign.it/en

Vin

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
The design part will come with time and the wiring is just a learned process. The hardest thing to do in this hobby is commit. Here's a little story that made me realize that.

Early on I was collecting a few shrubs form an elderly neighbor. We struck up a conversation and she asked me what my plans were for them. I told her the truth and she started asking a lot of questions about bonsai. I didn't have all the answers but she was very supportive. As the 30 minute conversation ended she made a comment that has stuck with since. She said, "You know, it sounds like bonsai are like cows." At first I thought she lost it but when I asked what she meant she said she grew up on a farm and helped her Dad with his cows. She said cows can't really do much of anything for themselves and that they are completely dependent on humans to provide them with what they need to survive and without someone to take care of them they would eventually die. "Hmmmm", I replied. "Commitment; that's what it takes."

akhater

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The design part will come with time and the wiring is just a learned process. The hardest thing to do in this hobby is commit. Here's a little story that made me realize that.

Early on I was collecting a few shrubs form an elderly neighbor. We struck up a conversation and she asked me what my plans were for them. I told her the truth and she started asking a lot of questions about bonsai. I didn't have all the answers but she was very supportive. As the 30 minute conversation ended she made a comment that has stuck with since. She said, "You know, it sounds like bonsai are like cows." At first I thought she lost it but when I asked what she meant she said she grew up on a farm and helped her Dad with his cows. She said cows can't really do much of anything for themselves and that they are completely dependent on humans to provide them with what they need to survive and without someone to take care of them they would eventually die. "Hmmmm", I replied. "Commitment; that's what it takes."

... and that's what I lacked.
But that's the old me right :) the new me is committed to provide for his trees.

I noticed (reflecting on my past) that I always get to a point where I totally ignore my trees and let them die... sometimes it was after a few month sometimes after as long as 3 to 4 years... but even when I did so it never took me more than a few months to fall back in love again with Bonsai. I would wonder what the heck happened to me to let them die and start buying fresh lol

well now I have installed an automatic irrigation system that could allow me some slack for my lazy days... I hope I won't need it but if I do it is ready

Tree pictures coming up in the weekend once I'm back home

Cheers

onlyrey

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I’ve been a noob since 2004, when I thought I could buy an “indoor” bonsai and keep it on display in my new apartment’s living room... forward 15 years, 5 moves after, getting married, having a kid, and I am still killing trees as if it were 2004. Just keep on trying!!!

Paul G

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
But that's the old me right :) the new me is committed to provide for his trees.

I noticed (reflecting on my past) that I always get to a point where I totally ignore my trees and let them die... sometimes it was after a few month sometimes after as long as 3 to 4 years... but even when I did so it never took me more than a few months to fall back in love again with Bonsai. I would wonder what the heck happened to me to let them die and start buying fresh lol

well now I have installed an automatic irrigation system that could allow me some slack for my lazy days... I hope I won't need it but if I do it is ready

Cheers
I'm experiencing something similar right now. I'm back in love after some time away and worried that my next passion (and there's always another on the horizon) will pull my attention away. Good luck to you!

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
watering isn't really what worries me.... well maybe it is

I been once or twice a day watering AM and PM for 6/7 years.

Last year I went on vacation. Autowatered twice a day, longer, and at that hot 2PM when they really need it.

I had 6-8 inch roots crawling out of my baskets that never got that big ever!

Had I had that kinda health since the beginning, I don't think I could have killed any trees.

Sorce

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone

Cheers
My admittedly questionable response would be to buy a REALLY REALLY good tree that has a higher price tag. The prospect of losing such a tree is a HUGE motivator. It also prevents neglect and prevents laziness. I think your issue may be tied to "they're not all that great and I don't have much invested in them" Well, INVEST in one...see what happens. Don't buy a bunch of skinny, crummy "indoor" seedlings from the bonsai store. Instead, look at a SINGLE more developed piece of temperate zone stock (indoor bonsai are mostly a hassle and not worth the trouble), or established bonsai. Keep that for a while, see what develops.

Sunwyrm

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Put in some good work and time and you'll find yourself in a better place.

Welcome.

Well this was beautiful.

Cheers

I have this issue with things also; my trees, my reef tanks.. It's good to have a plan in place to be able to coast for a little while.

Top Bottom