I want a Scots pine!

Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
I've tried looking online for a somewhat local supplier of Scots pine, but I didn't have any luck.

Today on Facebook I seen a beautiful Scots pine that was posted by bonsai empire, and It struck me. There is a Christmas tree farm on the east side of town. I think I'll give them a call tomorrow on my lunch.

If possible I'd rather find a place where I can drive (not too far) rather than having it shipped. BUT if I have no choice, I have no choice.

Soo... if I can't find anything local, where could I go to find a smaller Scots pine through the internet?

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I would check with more tree farms.

Last year only the real yuppie depots got them, this year they all have them.

May be grafted but not bad.

But $185 longer term projects.

That info is pretty useless...
Bump.

Sorce

Waltron

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I want a Scott pine too, might try to dig on this weekend, see how they handle a summer dig.

Giga

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
I would like one too but They don't grow here and I haven't seen one here yet to buy

Wilson

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I want a Scott pine too, might try to dig on this weekend, see how they handle a summer dig.
Every summer I go for a week in Ontario, and every year i dig some scots pine. I have never had a tree die from the summer dig. I normally waited for the beginning of August. Good luck!

Gilad

Yamadori
Reaction score
I would like one too but They don't grow here and I haven't seen one here yet to buy
I think Meehan in Maryland got quite a few pre-bonsai. Excellent nursery, reasonable prices. HOwever from VA beach its a bit of a drive......they are near Frederick.

armetisius

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone

Pinus echinata
You are in the prime range for short needle pine.
They are all over up there. I have seen them on
pine barrens stunted to the point that the needles
looked by Deodara Cedar. Should be easy to find
and my beginning ones are just about bullet proof.
A multiple flusher when happy too.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Although it might seem logical and is a tempting option, I'd be cautious about getting a Scots Pine from a Christmas tree farm. I had one from that source. It was very difficult material that I wound up killing.

The basic problem is with the way Christmas trees are grown. They are sheared repeatedly to form the pyramid silhouettes that are most valuable for their seasonal use. The interior branch arrangement is ignored. That means branches are arrow straight for up to two or three feet on the interior and are arranged in wheel spoke rings from the bottom to the top of the tree. Those wheel spokes can produce ugly (for bonsai) localized swelling and knots on the trunk.

Unless you work with extremely small stock, these are big problems for bonsai. Bending those straight branches is an issue, as is pushing new backbudding back towards the trunk. The trunk knuckles can 't really be eliminated.

I worked a big Scots dug out of an X-Mas tree farm a while ago. Finally killed it because I worked it too hard, hoping to make some kind of reasonable progress with movement in branching and new foliage. Choose carefully...

Last edited:

VAFisher

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I know Julian Adams in Lynchburg, Va. has sold some pretty great Scots pine stock and bonsai. Saw a few of them at the last PBA show he attended.

http://www.adamsbonsai.com/adamsbonsi2013_010.htm
http://www.adamsbonsai.com/pine_foliage.pdf

I've been emailing him this spring because I'm looking for another. He dug 8 out of his growing bed this spring and thinks that only 3 or 4 will survive. He said the cold snap we had was deadly for the freshly dug and growing scots and wanted to wait until late July before letting any of them go.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Shit. Rookie move on my behalf. Man I really got my hopes up on a Scots pine.
A quick Google search shows mugo pine are good to zone 8. I've seen one in town that's been there as far back as I can remember

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I've seen hardy to zone 8a. In any case, you are at the southern edge of their hardiness zone in landscapes. For all intents and purposes, for bonsai you can shave off a half to a full zone hardiness because of the containerization. Some trees can make a big adjustment, others not so much. I would doubt Scots would be very happy in such a hotter climate. They kind of just get along here in Zone 7 Va.

Although there are some populations in warmer U.K. and Europe, they are mostly spread across Nothern zones in Europe, from Scandanavia into Siberia.

The grass is always greener. Goes for bonsai too. Seeing all the terrific trees that aren't native to your zone can make you envious. It can make you buy stuff you probably shouldn't be getting because of climate zone and other concerns. Happens to most bonsaiists at some point. Takes a few deaths to hammer home that native species and species more acclimated to you zone are always better than an exotic from another climate.

Black pine will probably work very very well for you. It's a hotter climate pine. Mugo will too. For what works, take a look at your local landscape nursery (an established one, not a big box crap seller). If an established, reputable nursery in your area is selling it, it's a good bet you can use it for bonsai

Last edited:
Top Bottom