I was a serial houseplant killer...

Coppersdad

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Far be it for me to offer anyone advice on bonsai care.
Recently, while reading some threads on collecting and the "Did you kill your first tree?..." thread. It occurred to me many of us often make the same mistakes over and over while we expect a different result each time.
The article in the 9/11 Washington Post may hit very close to home for many of us. Titled "I was a serial houseplant killer, until I stopped making these five mistakes" by Elizabeth Kiefer, is a great reminder to be thoughtful and patient as we attempt to become a person who cares for bonsai:
I set myself up for failure. (I immediately thought of 'right plant, right location')
I drenched my plants in attention (and water). (as everyone on these threads has said, 'don't do it all the first day')
I overreacted to overwatering by underwatering. ('nuff said!)
I thought all sunlight was the same. (a learning process)
I gave up too soon. (please don't, it's a beautiful hobby and you will grow to love it.)

https://www.washingtonpost.com/life...ory.html?noredirect=on&utm_term=.bde94464877e

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
All very true.

The right plant for the right location is an issue that even experienced growers sometimes have trouble with. It is not always easy to figure out what grows well where. I had to embrace the idea that I can not grow everything. Stick to the ones that have a chance to do well in my climate.

Top Bottom