I was given a bonsai

Kingofthecastle

Seedling
Reaction score
i was just giveb a bonsai that was orphan and i though that in order to take care of it i should know the species to do my honework properlyimage.jpgimage.jpg

KennedyMarx

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
It's a procumbens juniper. It is not an indoor plant. If you don't have outdoor space for it, it will die from low light levels and lack of winter dormancy period.

Kingofthecastle

Seedling
Reaction score
Could i reproduce those conditions artificialy it was in an office year long

KennedyMarx

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Short answer: no.

Long answer:
If you had a refrigeration system to gradual lower the temperatures over several months while maintaining good air circulation and a high powered lighting system on a timer to stimulate shorter and longer days, maybe.

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hi there King. Welcome to Bonsai Nut. The home of straight forward answers!
Captain Kennedy pretty much sums it up right there in one fell swoop.
Sorry to say he is right on all counts.
But there are trees that may be kept indoors like ficus.

Kingofthecastle

Seedling
Reaction score
I always wanted to do a formal upright forest planting and i dont really like ficus any species that are suitable and if i plan ahead i could always set up for outside at the in laws they have a beautiful backyard with fences all around and pool and what not lots of sun light there

lordy

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
My first tree was a gift as well, from my wife. She knew I wanted one and saw some at a stand in the mall: "mallsai".
I kept in on the mantle. I checked on it a week or so later and found it to be quite green, and a bit crispy. RIP procumbens nana.
Remember this: trees dont start life indoors, and they really need to be outdoors for the most part, tropical varieties in sub-50F temps notwithstanding.
Good luck with yours.

Alain

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Also: this kind of juniper frequently come from the bonsai aisles of big stores like Home depot and have glue-on gravel on top. Hard to say on the picture but if the gravels are glued, break that and remove! Like, now!

Top Bottom