I was kinda justifiably ignored :)

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Last Saturday I was in Houston. I took the opportunity to visit one of the largest landscaping nurseries in the area. They have acres and acres of trees from very large to small. I spent quite a bit of time walking around. In the beginning, I was kind of glad to be left alone to explore, but then after a while I started to feel ignored (human psyches is weird isn't it?) I had a question to ask about a tree with a $29 price tag. I approached one guy and he brusquely told me: "Please wait, I have to take care of a customer." Then he walked away to catch up with a guy who was walking around the big trees looking... kinda just like me.

Naturally I was curious as to why that guy got so much attention so I followed them from a distance. I observed the customer pointed to one huge tree after another and said: "I want that, and that, and that...." The nursery guy was busy taking notes. After a while the customer stopped and said: "What am I up to?" The nursery guy said " Around 95". The customer said: "Good. Deliver them to the address and my crew will tell you guys where to plant them."

$95,000 sale sure as heck beats $29 potential sale, doesn't it?

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
so what was the question you wanted to ask about the tree??
i kind of like being left to my own devices without pressure. i already know what im looking for and dont need any help unless i want to haggle on the price, which can be done at the till.
you see how Ryan neil does it, walks in, sees what he wants, leaves with a van load of goodies, simple?

Morax

Yamadori
Reaction score
Oh yeah... looks play allot into it... an example... cute lil 5 foot tall blonde walks to jewelry counter... nothing. 6 foot leather clad biker walks up beside her. Nothing. 3 salespeople look up but don't move.. fall all over themselves when a stack of cash is slapped on counter... "thank you is there anything else we can do today sir? " yup go f yourselves...

Morax

Yamadori
Reaction score
I don't care if you got .01 or 1.5 mil. I am sure he was not the only guy working there and that's just bad business. Treat them all the same.

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
I kind of understand where the guy is coming from. I work in an office with 5 phone lines, and 2 people. People walking in to buy stuff, getting gas at the pumps, trucks pulling on the scale. You can only take care of one customer at a time.

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I don't care if you got .01 or 1.5 mil. I am sure he was not the only guy working there and that's just bad business. Treat them all the same.
Our value in life is measured by how well we can be of service to others. Those people who don't want to be used will be paid accordingly. The guy who knew that the Mr. Big was going to use his services to the nth degree knew which side of the bread had the butter on it. He should have treated the party of the second part a little better, maybe if a smile or wink accompanied his hurried exit it would have been more acceptable, but maybe he had special instructions to make sure Mr. Big was treated well, or else. Walk a mile in his shoes...

I think Cajun understood, completely, and provided an interesting narrative. I like stories with a lesson learned.

jimib

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
One time I was in Vegas and stepped into the Armani store. I was looking at an $1800 shirt. One of the sales people came over and asked if I would like to try it on. I was wearing an iron maiden T-shirt, jeans, and Chuck Taylor Converses. I looked at the guy and said “do I look like I can afford an $1800 shirt?“ jokingly. He looked at me and said “I don’t care it you’re wearing that or a Hugo Boss suit. I treat everyone like they just hit big at a table”.

Top Bottom