I was out for 4 days and my Berberis got crispy leaves all over

bbelbuken

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
I had to go outside of the city for the weekend and when i come back, nearly all the whole foliage got cripsy and now it sheds like crazy. No pest or anything like that. Is it because of watering issue ? My other trees (15) are doing fine though..

Attachments

• FEDEDDDC-5157-4FF7-88A8-49418D13E230.jpeg
    FEDEDDDC-5157-4FF7-88A8-49418D13E230.jpeg
    220.9 KB · Views: 54
  • D298B349-D0EA-451E-BE70-8DF5C9B852B0.jpeg
    D298B349-D0EA-451E-BE70-8DF5C9B852B0.jpeg
    176 KB · Views: 47
  • A5B81D1D-8995-40E3-86AD-4B54AA53C3A9.jpeg
    A5B81D1D-8995-40E3-86AD-4B54AA53C3A9.jpeg
    187.4 KB · Views: 53

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Sorry. It does look like the leaves got fried, yet a couple loose ends to cover…

Was the media dry when you returned?

Has this plant been repotted with root work lately?

Did you recently fertilize? If so what did you use?

At this point you might want to put the plant in a shady area and ease up on the watering a bit. With all the leaf damage the plant won’t need as much water, wouldn’t want to get root rot on top of the present injury.

cheers
DSD sends

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
I had to go outside of the city for the weekend and when i come back, nearly all the whole foliage got cripsy and now it sheds like crazy. No pest or anything like that. Is it because of watering issue ? My other trees (15) are doing fine though..
Oof! My plants are many... and quite thirsty.

If I have to leave longer than 12-18 hours, I need a trusted caretaker.

I'm wishing your situation well.

bbelbuken

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Sorry. It does look like the leaves got fried, yet a couple loose ends to cover…

Was the media dry when you returned?

Has this plant been repotted with root work lately?

Did you recently fertilize? If so what did you use?

At this point you might want to put the plant in a shady area and ease up on the watering a bit. With all the leaf damage the plant won’t need as much water, wouldn’t want to get root rot on top of the present injury.

cheers
DSD sends
The media was dry when i returned. And i did repot it with a little bit of root work but it was 2 weeks ago. Since then it was already located in a shady area in a wind proof greenhouse. And no i didn't fertilize at all.

bbelbuken

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Oof! My plants are many... and quite thirsty.

If I have to leave longer than 12-18 hours, I need a trusted caretaker.

I'm wishing your situation well.
I thought 4 days is not that long since i am using organic soil on most of my plants. I did make sure i place them in a shaded area as well to prevent this situation. However Berberis got fussy at this point. Thank you i hope it recovers soon...

Last edited:

bbelbuken

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
I see a little bit of perlite in that pot. I'm guessing that's the only part of that soil that retains water?
This pictures are taken after i watered them. Also it contains organic soil and it's not the only thing that retains water

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
I also have an AREA of landscape material that I grow for sale, mostly Ilex, Salix, Cornus and Native Acer..

These are in completely organic soil... and in the sun... they STILL get flooded out every 1-2 days..

But this is all climate-specific..

You know your area MUCH better than I do.

Turkey is pretty warm, right? especially coastal?

Can you cook meat, buried in the sand?

bbelbuken

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
I also have an AREA of landscape material that I grow for sale, mostly Ilex, Salix, Cornus and Native Acer..

These are in completely organic soil... and in the sun... they STILL get flooded out every 1-2 days..

But this is all climate-specific..

You know your area MUCH better than I do.

Turkey is pretty warm, right? especially coastal?

Can you cook meat, buried in the sand?
I'd def buy those bits and pieces from you if i was close lol. Well, my soil stays wet for 1-2 days if i leave it in direct sun and 4-5 for shady areas. I live far away from the coast so the temperature varies. We get more cold/snow then coastal places in here. But yea in overall it's prettt warm and i don't know about meat but you can def cook an egg on concrete lol

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
So, as folks were mentioning, thats a long time to leave without a back up watering system, even if you have more water retentive media. Couple that with underground / root work and the conditions were not so good for your barberi’s survival.

You might experiment with a wicking system for departures if you can’t get a human backup. BLUMAT which is on your side of the pond is one of the companies that has been around for years that makes a lot of these type products.

Berberi’s are pretty tough, hopefully it will bounce back with lot of small leaves! How about posting some follow up photos down the line. It really helps the forum to see the results, good and not so good.

Good Luck
DSD sends

bbelbuken

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
So, as folks were mentioning, thats a long time to leave without a back up watering system, even if you have more water retentive media. Couple that with underground / root work and the conditions were not so good for your barberi’s survival.

You might experiment with a wicking system for departures if you can’t get a human backup. BLUMAT which is on your side of the pond is one of the companies that has been around for years that makes a lot of these type products.

Berberi’s are pretty tough, hopefully it will bounce back with lot of small leaves! How about posting some follow up photos down the line. It really helps the forum to see the results, good and not so good.

Good Luck
DSD sends
DSD, You are literally helping, encouraging and giving hope to the community of BN and i'm really appreciate it. Thank you for your lovely advices and i'll make sure that i put some follow up photos after everything is okay. Have a great day to you ❤️

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
If everything else was fine, I'd blame the Repot not the weather for lack of watering cuz everything else is saying it wasn't a lack of water.

But we're the others repotted?
If so, not as harshly eh?

Sorce

bbelbuken

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
If everything else was fine, I'd blame the Repot not the weather for lack of watering cuz everything else is saying it wasn't a lack of water.

But we're the others repotted?
If so, not as harshly eh?

Sorce
Well i had to repot 6-7 of them 2 weeks ago and the shocked ones started stressing after day 2 and now they are fully recovered. (At least they are not in stress now) But this Berbery didn't show any sign of stress or else for 2 weeks and.. you know the rest

bbelbuken

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A

Good Luck
DSD sends
Its been over a week and it's getting crispier though. Any suggestions?

Attachments

• ECAE744D-62F5-4AC5-9C5F-560416C4AD49.jpeg
    ECAE744D-62F5-4AC5-9C5F-560416C4AD49.jpeg
    162.3 KB · Views: 12

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
As @sorce mentioned it’s likely the repots that caused all your issues. Any tree takes a good amount of time to regrow their roots back to a point that the tree is strong again. Given any stress, strong sunlight, lack of water etc, during that time….

Keep watering when the media gets near dry and then in moderation. Shade and wait to see if the situation resolves.

Good luck
DSD sends

Top Bottom