I went hard on this one…

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
I picked up this Japanese maple at the growing grounds over a year ago and started working the roots last spring. I realized that it needed a ground layer to have any chance of having a decent root base. As you can see from the photos, I didn’t get quite as much roots as I hoped… thus, the resulting carnage to what had been the existing root system :). This one should make it, but you never know?... I will in about 3 weeks:p. If it grows well, it’ll get screwed to a board next spring and I’ll start doing some route grafts.D9472BB4-E16C-4D05-BD5F-C7352667F37D.jpeg68162A15-2B99-4DD8-A46C-22D1A2F11191.jpeg5849F8C4-8CDD-4D46-AFD0-029DDE6E5D83.jpeg699F963A-7DE8-4E5B-A3E9-4989491274BD.jpeg3E4BE5D1-75B2-4E3D-AD9C-1E3F1C2A96A9.jpeg13C80325-58E1-4775-B370-34CB4A2C915B.jpeg

Last edited:

Adamantium

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
As someone who's never done a ground layer, did you literally just lop off the bottom and stick what was left in the dirt?

Giga

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
woh, can't say I would have done that. BOLD!

namnhi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Let the betting begin. The odd is 80/20. You are a Japanese maple wizard if that thing live. Didn't know you can do a cutting that old and that big.

namnhi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Ground layer is not what you are doing here. Lol

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
As someone who's never done a ground layer, did you literally just lop off the bottom and stick what was left in the dirt?
No. I actually removed the cambium 360 degrees around the trunk... but I missed some cambium and the results are less then stellar. There are roots there, but not a lot. Don't do what I did above if you absolutely aren't willing to lose the tree.
Ground layer is not what you are doing here. Lol
It was ground layered last spring... yesterday was the big reveal for what I hoped would be a nice new set of roots, and I was underwhelmed by the results.

RobertB

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
how long did that beast grow in the ground for?

Reaction score
Big tree, little roots. Keep out of wind and keep humidity high. Don't expect a lot of elongation, if you can keep green on the tree it is fine. The first summer heat might be the tipping point in my experience, but you are more experienced than me, so show us how to do it...

RobertB

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
What would be recommended in this case to help this tree through summer heat?

Reaction score
Sun and wind protection. Misting when possible. It's a big cutting. First thing is to get the tree through the spring first.

Nybonsai12

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Brave. Hopefully it pulls through for you. I recall another of yours that you gave similar brutal treatment that responded well I thought. Do you seal those bottom cuts?

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Brave. Hopefully it pulls through for you. I recall another of yours that you gave similar brutal treatment that responded well I thought. Do you seal those bottom cuts?
Nope. in my experience, cuts to roots or the trunk below the soil surface don't need to be sealed... and thanks for your confidence:p.

Nybonsai12

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Nope. in my experience, cuts to roots or the trunk below the soil surface don't need to be sealed... and thanks for your confidence:p.

I too was hacking one up from GG and I wasn’t sure about sealing em or not so I sealed. Dang it! Should have saved the cut paste. Thanks for the tip.

Paulpash

Masterpiece
Reaction score

There's less chance of roots forming if you seal. I've sealed under the trunk before though to encourage roots to form just on the laterals. Really hope this one makes it Dave, I enjoy your progression threads (especially the multiple page ones :))

Top Bottom