I went shopping for Ponderosa Pine yamadori

roberthu

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
If you live in an environment where you can keep the needles short, then a small Pondy is ok. Where I live, the needles grow all summer long! So I have a Pondy that’s 18 inches tall, with 6 inch needles!
Are you sure it’s not a willow?

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Ooh this is helpful! Thanks. I have access to a ton of natural lava flow slabs. They’re dark like basalt but have a lot of craggy texture. How does this look?
View attachment 361833

I could also find something upright or that has a hollow where the cascade orientation of this tree’s rootball would work.
How about getting Eric Krizovensky(sp?)to make a custom pot for you?

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
What feels right (maybe familiar??) would be to set a guy wire (blue) to compact the tree, close that space a little, and to somewhat hide the imbalance of weight between the base, middle trunk, and deadwood area. The red lines show how the trunk would move.
CA9ACE79-F42E-405A-85EB-49EDDA25B927.jpeg

I like the unequal distancing between the 2 sections as is, I don't think it's going to get better with a tightening, until the elbow completely reaches the base and that "mass" shows as one.

Give the canopy time, you can make it "carry" the design.

What is that a 4x4 or a 6x6? I wanna make a pot for this.

Sorce

parhamr

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I like the unequal distancing between the 2 sections as is, I don't think it's going to get better with a tightening, until the elbow completely reaches the base and that "mass" shows as one.

Give the canopy time, you can make it "carry" the design.

What is that a 4x4 or a 6x6? I wanna make a pot for this.

Sorce
6x6

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
I love this tree (condolences on the other one). My only recommendation with future planting angles and trunk bending is that the end result has both the trunk base exiting the soil at an angle and no obviously straight parts of the trunk remain perpendicular or parallel to the rim of the pot.

parhamr

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I love this tree (condolences on the other one). My only recommendation with future planting angles and trunk bending is that the end result has both the trunk base exiting the soil at an angle and no obviously straight parts of the trunk remain perpendicular or parallel to the rim of the pot.
You bet! Here’s the better front for this planting orientation
8C5EDE77-7EA3-4619-989D-79FE99E9C4A7.jpeg

Bu-Jetjet

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
You bet! Here’s the better front for this planting orientation
View attachment 362354
I like this front... but I will throw in my vote for a cascade style as well. Maybe I'm a bit biased, but my yamadori-ponderosas do better here when I have them in deeper pots.
Also, got a hold of Randy and I bit the bullet on two of his offerings.
Will share soon!

Top Bottom