I went to a garden party...

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Actually today I DID go to a garden party :) It was a meeting of our local gardening club, and they had Bill Motta (from the Orange County Bonsai Society) in as a guest speaker. I always enjoy listening to someone talk about bonsai, especially when it isn't me :) What I found especially interesting and refreshing was how many of the members either owned bonsai or were very interested in the subject. Granted, this was a gardening club meeting, but it was still great to see people who were interested but had never had the opportunity for someone to "open the door" for them. I wonder how many potential bonsai enthusiasts are out there - folks who are interested but have never found a way to get involved in the hobby?

Reaction score
USDA Zone
A lot more than we imagine. I give intro to bonsai classes at a local community college and it is amazing how many people take the classes, only to say that they have always had an interest, but never an opportunity.

Will

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
As a follow-up I offered to do a demonstration and a small starter class... I kid you not she put me on the agenda for 2010. It is the only group I know that is planning out their events two years into the future. Their president is pretty amazing - and funny too. Her quote "by 2010 most of the ladies will have forgotten what they saw here today."

Bill S

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Will, is your intro class an official class with the school, or more of a place to do the class when you have interested parties?

I ask because our club does this in conjunction with our show, we advertise the show and intro classes including the tree, and pot along with the class. We pick up a member or two this way, but always looking for new avenues to advance bonsai, and our club.

rajputana

Seedling
Reaction score
Actually today I DID go to a garden party :) It was a meeting of our local gardening club, and they had Bill Motta (from the Orange County Bonsai Society) in as a guest speaker. I always enjoy listening to someone talk about bonsai, especially when it isn't me :) What I found especially interesting and refreshing was how many of the members either owned bonsai or were very interested in the subject. Granted, this was a gardening club meeting, but it was still great to see people who were interested but had never had the opportunity for someone to "open the door" for them. I wonder how many potential bonsai enthusiasts are out there - folks who are interested but have never found a way to get involved in the hobby?

Interesting Question

Top Bottom