I wish I had a tree in a nice pot to show you guys!

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I have had a little trident in a colander I won at a club auction last year and I decided it needed a repot this spring. I prepped up a nice bonsai pot and went to town on it. Unfortunately it had a really messed up root system, big coarse roots all around the root ball and these weird roots coming up out if the trunk and back down. It also completely lacked roots on one side. I decided the best move would be to get the roots sorted this year and let it strengthen up. Into the Terra Cotta training pot it went! Not as nice as I was hoping but I think I made the right choice.

Couple of questions though. Should I cut the canopy back any? I took probably 40-45% of the roots off but there was still a nice pad of feeder roots. Second question is that if you look at the pics you'll see where I took a big root off the was going straight up then back down. I hope maybe it will grow something new into the soil from that spot. Should I keep the cut paste on or take it off and maybe put some rooting powder there?IMG_20190314_172345.jpgIMG_20190314_181846.jpgIMG_20190314_181621.jpg

Nanuk

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
If it were mine I would let it recover from the root workover for a while.
Maybe the rest of this year. Let it get its strength back.

But then I'm new at this and at this time I don't own a maple, although I am looking for one.
I'm sure someone that knows more than I will be along shortly.
Good luck with the tree, it looks promising.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
If it were mine I would let it recover from the root workover for a while.
Maybe the rest of this year. Let it get its strength back.

But then I'm new at this and at this time I don't own a maple, although I am looking for one.
I'm sure someone that knows more than I will be along shortly.
Good luck with the tree, it looks promising.

Yeah I'll for sure be letting it recover until next spring, I'm just still a bit unclear when one would want to to reduce the canopy along with extensive root work because of possible transpiration issues with a full canopy and reduced roots.

Nanuk

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Yeah I'll for sure be letting it recover until next spring, I'm just still a bit unclear when one would want to to reduce the canopy along with extensive root work because of possible transpiration issues with a full canopy and reduced roots.
That makes sense. I hadn't thought about that. Might be a good idea to balance it out.
Trying to learn myself.

Top Bottom