IBC down and out

bonsai barry

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Does anyone know why Internet Bonsai Club site is down? It seems like its been down for a fairly long time.

Last edited:
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I know it has been down for a couple days and the message I get is that it is undergoing maintenance. The mail list is still up, but there is no discussion there at all about the prolonged shutdown.

Will

darrellw

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Jim Lewis sent this out to the IBC mailing list yesterday:

Folks, it will take some time for the IBC site to be brought back up. We've been pretty badly hacked, and while Terry is doing his best to get going, and to try to see that it can't happen again, it looks as if it will be a while yet.

Thanks, and please have patience. Meanwhile, this mailing list is still available.

-Darrell

irene_b

Omono
Reaction score
How often does stuff like this happen to forums?
Irene

BigBill

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
Unfortunately Irene it happens all the time. most hackers are just bored people with technical knowledge that could ultimately be put to good use if they wanted to. Most of todays best anti-virus software is written by guys that started out life as hackers making viruses.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
Defacing a web page is hardly hacking and calling it such is like calling bathroom wall graffiti literary masterpieces. Vandalism is a better term and it gives no "props" to these "script kiddies" to brag about.

Will

BONSAI_OUTLAW

Banned
Reaction score
LOL...I have seen some pretty good or at least pretty funny bathroom wall graffiti though.

bretts

Shohin
Reaction score
Maybe Jim moved so many posts that the site disapeard and they are trying to find it:eek:

Or maybe he hit the rong delete button:rolleyes:

Reaction score
USDA Zone
Graffiti is more important than most think....

Yes, graffiti has earned a spot in modern artistic consideration, however I tried to differentiate between that and the type most commonly found on bathroom walls..usually hurried vulgar scrawls, although if we were talking about poets.... ;)

My point was that a "script kiddie" with a downloaded script or exploit for defacing web pages hardly qualifies as a "hacker" and most couldn't actually write a line of code to save their game-boy.

Will

Rick Moquin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
My point was that a "script kiddie" with a downloaded script or exploit for defacing web pages hardly qualifies as a "hacker" and most couldn't actually write a line of code to save their game-boy.
Now that's funny!

Reaction score
USDA Zone
My favorite bathroom graffiti of all time, even actually made my wife laugh when I told her about it...

Written on the condom dispenser..."This gum tastes like rubber!"

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
How often does stuff like this happen to forums?
Irene

Not often. When you consider the number of forums out on the Internet, and the millions of people engaging in forum discussions, the problems are actually quite few. The vast majority of "hacking" trouble comes from one of two causes. Either (1) the site administrators leave critical install and config files in public web space where people can access them and gain control of the boards or (2) problems are caused by people who at one time had legitimate access to the site (admins, mods, etc) but who now behave maliciously for one reason or another.

Takes a pretty desperate person to want to deface a bonsai discussion forum :) It's not like we are discussing religion or politics...

Behr

Yamadori
Reaction score
My personal favorite from way back in the late 60's...

"Acid consumes 47 times its' weight in excess reality"...

And another favorite viewed in a restroom in St. Genevieve Missouri...

Please flush the stool, Perryville and Cape Girardeau needs the water...

Perryville and Cape Girardeau were both down river [the Mississippi] from there...

Reagrds
Behr

:) :) :)

Reaction score
USDA Zone
You know you're in a tough bar when the scrawl above the urinal says "Please Don't Eat The Mints."

But my all time favorite piece had the very wise words....

"For a good time...go home to your wife and kids."

Wil

Reaction score
USDA Zone
3b
A favourite of mine, wich also describes the climate fairly well:

It's hard to live, it's hard to die
It's hard to s**t outside when the snow's 3 feet high

Its sounds better (or worse) in swedish though...

Top Bottom