Ice dragon maple

Oerc201

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have an ice dragon maple. It is very compacted in the pot. Soil very compacted too. It is not growing. Water has a hard time going through when i water. Leafs came scorched. How bad would it be to repot it at this time of the year? I am trying to give it a couple of months of better soil, water and oxygen. Hopefully that not too stupid of an idea.

Attachments

• 33A31DE1-F2AC-4DFE-964C-B28517ACDD0E.png
    33A31DE1-F2AC-4DFE-964C-B28517ACDD0E.png
    493.5 KB · Views: 41

Woocash

Omono
Reaction score
I have an ice dragon maple. It is very compacted in the pot. Soil very compacted too. It is not growing. Water has a hard time going through when i water. Leafs came scorched. How bad would it be to repot it at this time of the year? I am trying to give it a couple of months of better soil, water and oxygen. Hopefully that not too stupid of an idea.
If I had to guess I’d say root work is a no no, but I’m not sure I see the harm in temporarily putting it in a larger pot or the ground to give the roots some room. If the tree is visibly suffering then it’s better to do something than do nothing IMO.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I'd aerate it some.

Get it a wee bit healthier before a real Repot.

Sorce

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
The tree is not big enough to have grown roots which would fill a thimble, much less that pot. It will take a lifetime to grow to any size in multiples of a pencil because it doesn't have much leaf surface to work with. All cut leaf Maples suffer from slow growth. I'd slip it into the landscape in perfect exposure, ~full east sun near a downspout protected from winter winds, and wait it out and keeping it trimmed tight to a bonsai format of your choice.

Top Bottom