ID a bug on houseplant?

GailC

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4-5
Sorry for the horrible picture. I was photographing a hoya bloom when I noticed the little yellow bug on. I promptly squished it, should have gotten a better picture first.

Any idea what it is? Not a aphid or fungus gnat, almost looks like a small moth. Really tiny, the bloom is about 1/2 across.

Attachments

• 20200621_120209.jpg
    20200621_120209.jpg
    155.6 KB · Views: 44
  • 20200621_120601.jpg
    20200621_120601.jpg
    158.2 KB · Views: 49

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
Don't really know.
Some of the white flecks on the peduncles of the flowers (stems) look a little like mealy bug. I would treat this Hoya for mealy bugs. What ever you use for the mealy bugs would likely get the insect you circled. My first thought was thrip. but thrips usually appear nearly black in color.

GailC

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4-5
Those white specks are hard and won't wipe off. No mealies that I can see at all. I've wondered if the specks could be the milky sap from previous bug bites.

I searched the whole plant, didn't see anything else on it. I did use a systemic when I repotted 2 days ago. Its a new plant and it has a " I've been chewed on by bugs" look.

I did check it well for mealies before purchase since hoya are so prone to them.

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
My first thought was thrip. but thrips usually appear nearly black in color.

I went through this “double-take” as well.

Those white specks are hard and won't wipe off. No mealies that I can see at all. I've wondered if the specks could be the milky sap from previous bug bites.

I searched the whole plant, didn't see anything else on it. I did use a systemic when I repotted 2 days ago. Its a new plant and it has a " I've been chewed on by bugs" look.

I did check it well for mealies before purchase since hoya are so prone to them.

Again...Hmmmm...

I believe that anything designed to treat Aphids (🤬), Mealies.. ect.. will be effective against the myriad of possible pests i.e. esoteric gnats and flies.

This is roughly what “OL” stated... (that’s Original Leo, I call him that... out of earshot... i’m “oL”....other Leo... waaaay less badass.)

😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
My girlfriend collects hoya.
She brought mealy bugs and whooly aphids into my home. Sometimes some scale, sometimes spider mites.

Thrips over here can be all colors in between white (when they just shedded) to black. The dead giveaway are those silver-like shining freckles they leave behind.
I get rid of those with some neem oil. A single treatment would be enough to keep them at bay for a month or two.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Sorry for the horrible picture. I was photographing a hoya bloom when I noticed the little yellow bug on. I promptly squished it, should have gotten a better picture first.

Any idea what it is? Not a aphid or fungus gnat, almost looks like a small moth. Really tiny, the bloom is about 1/2 across.

By the way, which species of Hoya is that one, Gail? If that is a large flower for hoya, I'd guess H. patella, but if it is a small flower, I don't recognize it. I used to collect hoya, but let most of them go eventually. Still have H. thomasii, carnosa, pubicalyx, and maybe one or two others. I got talked out of my favorites, H. callistophylla. I'll probably get a few of the species again at some point.

Bnana

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Could be a leaf hopper but without a better picture it is impossible to tell, could also be just a bug passing by for some nectar (these are flowers after all, they should attract insects).
If you can't find any other to take a better picture of you obviously do not have a problem.

BajaKen

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10B
Sometimes spider mites.
I get rid of those with some neem oil. A single treatment would be enough to keep them at bay for a month or two.
How is the best way to apply Neem Oil? I have a feeling I will be using some in my future.
TIA,
-K

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
How is the best way to apply Neem Oil? I have a feeling I will be using some in my future.
TIA,
-K

I use 1.5 liter of warm/hot water, and add roughly a tablespoon of neem oil.
Then I add the cheapest dishwashing detergent I have. Just the regular stuff you use to manually do the dishes. I add it drop by drop and shake the bottle until the neem oil is emulsified.
When it's emulsified, I put it in a spray bottle and spray my plants in the morning or evening.

Over time the solution will separate in an oily layer and water. Just warm it up in a sink full of hot water and shake the bottle again. Do not microwave it.
Or just make a new solution, neem oil isn't expensive around here.

The key is to not use too much detergent. You want to emulsify the neem oil, not wash away the cuticle of your plants.

GailC

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4-5
By the way, which species of Hoya is that one, Gail? If that is a large flower for hoya, I'd guess H. patella, but if it is a small flower, I don't recognize it. I used to collect hoya, but let most of them go eventually. Still have H. thomasii, carnosa, pubicalyx, and maybe one or two others. I got talked out of my favorites, H. callistophylla. I'll probably get a few of the species again at some point.

Its a shepherdii aka, green bean hoya. The flowers are small. I have 18 at the moment and 5 more coming from thailand including a callistophylla but its for my daughter.

I also have someone sending me some seeds but she doesn't know what variety mother is, will still be awesome to grow.

I did find another bug last night but same as before, I didn't see it until I looked at photos.
Whatever it is, I heavily sprayed the plant down so I hope it got them all.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
My favorites were H. pimentella? It smells like gardenia in daytime, and winntergreen after midnight. A small species. And Hoya fitchii, watermelon striped leaves, cool orange flowers. Those were favorites, I no longer have them.

GailC

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4-5
I do like the fitchii, the bloom color is unique. My favorite is burtoniae, small fuzzy leaves and the flowers smell like caramel.

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
If you're ever up for sharing a few (unrooted) cuttings, I'd be happy to pay for shipping and doing the phytosanitary quarantine!
My girlfriend is on the lookout for more, but publicalyx, carnosa, australis and some variegated hybrid types are the only types of hoya we can get around here. It would be awesome to expand the collection somewhat!

BajaKen

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10B
I use 1.5 liter of warm/hot water, and add roughly a tablespoon of neem oil.
Then I add the cheapest dishwashing detergent I have. Just the regular stuff you use to manually do the dishes. I add it drop by drop and shake the bottle until the neem oil is emulsified.
When it's emulsified, I put it in a spray bottle and spray my plants in the morning or evening.

Over time the solution will separate in an oily layer and water. Just warm it up in a sink full of hot water and shake the bottle again. Do not microwave it.
Or just make a new solution, neem oil isn't expensive around here.

The key is to not use too much detergent. You want to emulsify the neem oil, not wash away the cuticle of your plants.
Thank you Wires_Guy, I have copied and pasted so I don't have to ask again! I appreciate the response. -K

GailC

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4-5
If you're ever up for sharing a few (unrooted) cuttings, I'd be happy to pay for shipping and doing the phytosanitary quarantine!
My girlfriend is on the lookout for more, but publicalyx, carnosa, australis and some variegated hybrid types are the only types of hoya we can get around here. It would be awesome to expand the collection somewhat!

Most of my plants are just tiny starts right now, way too small to share.
This place has cheap hoya and the pyto documentation. They ship from thailand, some people have really good luck with them, others not so much.
My order is shipping next month, crossing my fingers they come safe.

Top Bottom