ID a couple of oaks and hawthorns?

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Hi all. I am not optimistic of being able to get IDs for these as there is so little for you to go on but if anyone can help at all I'd be grateful.

I cannot offer any home range for these as they are all sourced from an old garden and none are native to this area.

Oak #1
Small tree with thin trunk but large leaves and larger acorns. Leaf in the photo a bit damaged after being in a pocket for a few hours but margins have small rounded lobes. Sorry, no caps but nothing special about the caps I could see.
IMGP2750.JPG

Oak #2
Very large tree with a strong trunk. Leaves are medium with toothed margins. Acorns large, similar to the previous species.
IMGP2751.JPG

Possible hawthorns?

Tree#3
Small tree or large shrub. Masses of bright red fruit in clusters. Apologies for the damaged leaf. You ill need to extrapolate from the less damaged side if possible. Margins are very finely serrated.
IMGP2754.JPGIMGP2755.JPG

Tree #4
This was once a large tree but has been lopped hard in the past few years. Lots of strong new growth from the stump. Fruit are orange but not in large clusters like the previous species. Leaves like plum or apple but very finely toothed margins.
IMGP2752.JPGIMGP2753.JPG

Thanks for looking. Even wild guesses would be appreciated at this stage if you think you recognize any of them.

RKatzin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The oaks I don't have a clue, but the hawthorns don't look like hawthorns. I have three haws, monogyna, pentagyna, and oxycantha, common, European, and English. Alll have a distinctly lobed leaf. On a wild guess I'd say those look like some type of crabapple.

Javaman4373

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have a small hawthorn I collected this spring here in Vermont and some of the leaves are lobed and some are not. I am certain this tree is one of the many species of hawthorn. We have many of all sizes on our farm.

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Why would anyone want to grow something with a thin trunk and big leaves?

Top Bottom