ID and styling advice please

Reaction score
USDA Zone
Ok, so here goes my first tree post. Go easy on me. Lol. Long time small tree in container grower and bonsai fan, but I am an no way a bonsai guy. This little guy popped up in my yard about 13 or so years ago. It grew a twin apex at one point and I hacked the larger of the two off. A few large branches were removed over the years as well. About 4years ago I had to remove it for a new flower bed. So in the middle of July out it came. At the time I thought it was a Leyland Cypress, which from what I read were trash for bonsai. So as a joke I planted it in a trash can lid. It’s been growing well and I’ve been tinkering with it because it grows fast so I pinch growth back to keep a shape, but in reality it’s just a Xmas tree in a trash can lid. Thoughts on what to do with it so it’s more interesting or better if that’s possible. It’s roughly 5 foot tall soil to tip. I have a few ideas, but I’ll leave it open. Yes I know a better pot would help. Hahahaha7A9C6446-D520-4A28-B391-D98F82067A4D.jpeg22352D9B-F340-4586-B4CB-6B74933C762B.jpeg

BrianBay9

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Start by growing the trunk size that you want. Then you can cut back to a trunk line. If you want a thicker base, best to just let it grow for a while.

Eckhoffw

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
@penumbra , how did you come to that Conclusion? I’m not saying your wrong. Just curious. I have no clue. Just looks like thuja to my ignorant eyes. Perhaps the region?

Reaction score
USDA Zone
I determined from your beer that you are in the PNW and that was enough to know it is a western red cedar if it popped up in your yard

...does it have the white butterflies on the underside?

View attachment 456321
I figured the beer would be helpful. No butterflies, I really wish it was red cedar. I know them well, It’s on my hit list.

Top Bottom