ID for pinus species please?

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Just noticed these pines planted outside a cemetery.
Hoping someone can narrow down the possible ID? Please note that no pinus species native to Australia so these hail from north somewhere.

habit:
IMGP9264.JPGIMGP9270.JPG

Bark looks quite distinctive. Obviously not JBP or JRP
IMGP9265.JPG

2 needles to a sheath
IMGP9266.JPG

buds have not begun to extend yet.
IMGP9268.JPG

Small- med pointed cones
IMGP9269.JPG

opening to rounded
IMGP9267.JPG

Any thoughts or ideas that will narrow down the possibilities would be welcome.

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
I'm familiar with Pinus pinea - Italian stone pine. The bark may be similar but stone pine should have much larger cones and big seeds. Pretty sure this is not stone pine.

Woocash

Omono
Reaction score
They have various hallmarks of scots pine, but the habit of the smaller tree is off. Could be a cultivar though I suppose, or a different species, or have been pruned small.

YAN

Yamadori
Reaction score
90% of trees where I live are stone pines pinus pinea.
If you didn’t use stairs to get those pictures it’s not a stone pine.
And with that thickness of trunk a stone pine would be 3 stories high unless zombies of cemetery are bonsai ing it at night.

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
The bark resembles what I've seen in Nigra but the needle size and stiffness doesn't check out. Nigra have fat needles compared to other pines.

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
It is possibly Pinus Halpensis or commonly referred to Aleppo Pine, not native to Australia but considered invasive. Was brought in as ornamental. The deeply fissured bark with reddish tones is a key characteristic of the species. Your pictures of cone shape and progression match up as well.

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
IMG_20200908_205459.jpg
Halepensis I know tends to go squary flakey higher up the trunk. The fissures stop halfway.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
My first guess would be Pinus radiata, as it is often used in pine tree plantations in subtropical and tropical areas. Pinus radiata is the #1 plantation pine. Needles are usually in clusters of three, though there is a common subspecies that has all the needles in clusters of 2.

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Thanks for all the opinions.
Halapensis and silvestris were also my first guesses but I don't have enough experience with either to be really familiar with them. The bark is what threw me as neither species show up with the very white plates these 3 have.
All 3 of these appear to be the same species. First one has probably had some damage to the trunk that has prevented it growing tall.
Definitely not radiata. Radiata is extensively planted here and there are a row of mature trees on the other side of the entrance complete with 3 the recognisable 3 needles. Radiata has very different bark - thick, black and deeply fissured. The bark on these appears to shed regularly leaving those flat plates and white color. Does the bark color of silvestris change through the year?

Halapensis is another common pine but more often grown in drier areas. Again, the bark of these does not match up with my experience of that species but, as mentioned the current color may just be seasonal which I have not noticed before.
Does anyone know of key features which would differentiate between these 2 species given that we cannot rely on natural distribution here. I have collected a couple of cones so will grow some seedlings. I know from experience that halapensis has persistent juvenile foliage so that may be enough to point one way or another.

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Thanks for all the opinions.
Halapensis and silvestris were also my first guesses but I don't have enough experience with either to be really familiar with them. The bark is what threw me as neither species show up with the very white plates these 3 have.
All 3 of these appear to be the same species. First one has probably had some damage to the trunk that has prevented it growing tall.
Definitely not radiata. Radiata is extensively planted here and there are a row of mature trees on the other side of the entrance complete with 3 the recognisable 3 needles. Radiata has very different bark - thick, black and deeply fissured. The bark on these appears to shed regularly leaving those flat plates and white color. Does the bark color of silvestris change through the year?

Halapensis is another common pine but more often grown in drier areas. Again, the bark of these does not match up with my experience of that species but, as mentioned the current color may just be seasonal which I have not noticed before.
Does anyone know of key features which would differentiate between these 2 species given that we cannot rely on natural distribution here. I have collected a couple of cones so will grow some seedlings. I know from experience that halapensis has persistent juvenile foliage so that may be enough to point one way or another.
If the bark is more grey than brown it could be environmental , the other possibility is one of the varieties of Pinus Niger. The juvenile buds are very similar to Pinus Niger but the cones are uncharacteristic for the type of Pinus Niger I am familiar with. That said there are many varieties of Pinus Niger.

Top Bottom