ID my succulent please

smilezzz

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone

Hey peoples. I know there are some out there that hate the idea of succulents as bonsai, but these grow like weeds in my yard and I couldn't resist. I've tried plant snap, which tells me it's a Chinese Fig, which I find hard to believe.

Anyways, no woody lignification, fleshy leaves, and roots from a single dropped leaf. Any idea what it could be?256517

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
Assuming the plate is a serving tray, larger than a dinner plate, I would guess

Crassula species. These are the full size Jade trees.

If that plate is smaller than a dinner plate, it might be Portulacaria species. The dwarf Jade Tree. or Spekboom, or Elephant tree.

Both require similar care - full sun, open, easy draining mineral soil. Water on a regular basis, but let the pot be dry a day or two between watering.

Your Jade tree looks like it is suffering from lack of light. I would do nothing to it until after finding a brighter location for it. It wants at least 6 hours of direct sun daily. It can take 12 hours of direct sun no problem. Step it into brighter light gradually, don't just set it outside in full sun. Start in brighter shade, then a week later a spot with a few hours sun then a week later full sun.

Once it is growing normal and healthy, you can consider bonsai techniques.

smilezzz

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks guys, its definitely not a crassula ovata or portulacaria afra, I have side by side with both of those:

Unknown succubus vs portulacaria afra

Unknown succubus vs Crassula Ovata

It's actually in a very healthy state, and it's getting about 8 hours of sun right now, its winter over here so it did drop a few leaves, and I've been watering sparsely. We've had some awesome weather recently, so it's really greened up quite a bit in the past week.

The Crassula helmsii shout is a good one, at first glance the leaves are very similar, but mine usually only has one or two pairs at the end of a branch, and it's not a huge water lover like the helmsii, it thrives on the same kind of care you'd give a normal jade plant.

Oh yes, i forgot to mention, the leaves don't get much bigger than on my potted ones.

Last edited:
Top Bottom